Author Topic: Terrible real estate photo  (Read 4532 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Terrible real estate photo
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
I know I saw a prior thread for this earlier, but the search function in this sub area of the forum doesn't seem to be pulling anything up.

I was looking at a listing today and stumbled across this beauty: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/47-Columbia-Ave-94063/home/1850774 photo 8 of 17. I swear to god, that is a the stuffed head of a zebra wearing aviator goggles and a gas mask hung on the wall of the dining room.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/47-Columbia-Ave-94063/home/1850774

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Terrible real estate photo
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
I haven't followed it in years, but lovely listing collects hilarious real estate photos: http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/lovelylisting

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
Well, sure it's weird. But I kind of like it.

But hell no on the pink painted brick fireplace. Pepto pink is nauseating in any form but not on a permanent fixture (is that irony? that the nausea medicine color is nauseating?)

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
You think photo 8 is the worst? Not the one of the magenta fireplace?

I'm so glad we've decide to stay put long term. I have no desire to ever again wander through some stranger's house.

Have I told you about the one where the homeowner painted his fridge black? Or the close talking, smoking, shirtless gentleman who showed us both his DIY projects and his basement pin ups? Or all the houses with basement apartments that smelled like cat piss?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
I am getting yet another awesome belly laugh looking at these photos. My god, people are entertaining. Someone else pointed out earlier that the house has lots of large photos of people wearing gas masks on the walls also. When I shared the link with my mother she actually missed the purple fireplace for all of the other things going on. It is quite the interior decorating that can make someone miss a purple brick fireplace.

ahhh, good times.

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
I just noticed that the purple fireplace room has no ceiling. How crazy does a room have to be that you don't even notice open rafters?

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »
My mother had a tenant who painted everything in the kitchen pink. Including the appliances. And it was not a nice shade of pink either.

You think photo 8 is the worst? Not the one of the magenta fireplace?

I'm so glad we've decide to stay put long term. I have no desire to ever again wander through some stranger's house.

Have I told you about the one where the homeowner painted his fridge black? Or the close talking, smoking, shirtless gentleman who showed us both his DIY projects and his basement pin ups? Or all the houses with basement apartments that smelled like cat piss?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:31 PM »
I know I saw a prior thread for this earlier, but the search function in this sub area of the forum doesn't seem to be pulling anything up.

I was looking at a listing today and stumbled across this beauty: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/47-Columbia-Ave-94063/home/1850774 photo 8 of 17. I swear to god, that is a the stuffed head of a zebra wearing aviator goggles and a gas mask hung on the wall of the dining room.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/47-Columbia-Ave-94063/home/1850774

I love it!  What a strange mix of vintage furnishings and modern art.  Talk about eclectic!  I would be fascinated to meet the owner and I have to admit, I even like the pink room.  If I wanted to match the walls to the rug though, I would have chosen the turquoise sections of the rug, but still -- it's loads of fun.  It looks like someone inherited a house and a bunch of stuff from family and then found a way to make it their own.  The wagon wheel on the outside patio wall doesn't seem to go with anything else though!.   I'd let that piece go.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »
That is the ugliest fireplace ever. Why do people paint brick? The zebra is also weird but man, that fireplace.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
Taking a guess that the magenta rococo room was probably the patio at one point, and it's the backside chimney of the living room fireplace. It's probably an unwarranted addition, which explains the still-small square footage, and the lack of a ceiling.

And oh yes, the site Onlykelsey mentioned. People who don't even wash dishes or make beds before taking real estate photos. Showers that look like crime scenes. Oy.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 11:04:55 AM »
That is the ugliest fireplace ever. Why do people paint brick? The zebra is also weird but man, that fireplace.

I am 100% with you on this.  The idea of turning a nice looking zero maintenance item into an ugly needs-to-be-repainted item is dumb. 

Partly to blame is the popular (and awful) TV show "Fixer Upper" ... where every week the hosts will paint the brick in some house and declare it beautiful.

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
I completely love it. Eclectic sure but super cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS for that? My goodness.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 10:31:41 PM »
This ad has been online for a couple of weeks now, I think they meant to say "Turnkey"...
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-butler-124101302?listingType=buy

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 01:43:56 AM »
While the aesthetics of the place are questionable, at least the photos aren't bad. When looking at comps, I see places for rent in my area all the time that have terrible photographs; horrible lighting, poor subject matter, crap left lying around, out-of-focus, etc. And many of these are from actual property management companies, not just some random guy posting his place who doesn't know how to use a camera. It's mind-boggling. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »
You guys haven't seen bad real estate photos until you end looked at the stuff we sift through in China when looking for rental, like this beauty...

http://sh.lianjia.com/zufang/shz3476170.html

And this type of posting is the rule, not the exception.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »
They've got an interesting steampunk-y thing going there.  It's a little cluttered and claustrophobic feeling to me, but I've gotta admit I love the zebra and the old-timey cameras.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
That Chinese listing really is appalling. I am getting anxious already thinking about living in a place like that.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS for that? My goodness.

Welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area!

TrMama

calimom

• Handlebar Stache

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 08:07:55 PM »
While the aesthetics of the place are questionable, at least the photos aren't bad.

Totally agree.  There was a time when a ton of listings had terrible fake HDR effects (someone incompetent manually dodging/burning areas with a wide brush), but luckily that has almost completely disappeared (as it should, where every iphone will turn out a better photo with less hassle). 

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 12:30:53 AM »
Having looked at it again, I'd even go so far as to say that the photos in the OP link are excellent. What sucks is all the clutter on the walls. Whoever lived there did not have a sense of subtlety. But whoever took the pictures knew exactly what they were doing. The lighting is great, the angles are corner-to-corner, and you get a good sense of the yard space.

Again, I see all the time utterly incompetent pictures of places for rent in my area when I'm looking to list one of my own. By real estate companies! I want to yell at the screen sometimes. Would it have killed you to spend four seconds to remove those soda cans first? Why do I care about a totally barren bit of dirt out in the yard when I can't even see the rest of the fucking yard? Why are you taking a picture of an unfinished cabinet minus the fixtures? WHY?