Author Topic: Tenant wants to move dog into no pet apt. due to emergency  (Read 1138 times)

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
Tenant wants to move dog into no pet apt. due to emergency
« on: April 08, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
New tenant as of 4/1, screened background/credit etc. looks good. Mother had a medical emergency and can't take care of small dog for up to 4-6 months (surgery for broken bones), tenant has offered pet deposit. It's a duplex, so I'm a bit worried the dog would bark. DH says NO. And that I'm a pushover. Opinions?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tenant wants to move dog into no pet apt. due to emergency
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
No. The tenant can find other solutions for the mother's dog.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:37:55 AM »
You're right, I have enough problems without adding to it. It was no pet because that was my decision based on careful consideration. Now just need to consider how to word the email response.

srad

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:39:16 AM »
I'm a push over on a lot of things too.  But they literally just moved in and want to change the terms of your lease..  I'd say no to this as well.

If they had been there for a while and you liked em, I'd say take the increased security deposit, and charge a pet rent.  In my area its around 20-25 a month for a small pet.

Again, its up to you, if you do trust them go for it.  But wow, its been 7 days.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:46:21 AM »
I agree to say no.  This is how problem tenants start, if you let them.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »
I'd say yes with an extra deposit enough to cover the cost of replacing carpets. At least they asked you and didn't just do it. Do you live in the other half?Otherwise why do you care if it barks?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »
I'd say yes with an extra deposit enough to cover the cost of replacing carpets. At least they asked you and didn't just do it. Do you live in the other half?Otherwise why do you care if it barks?

Dogs don't just ruin carpets, they can also rapidly ruin hardwood floors, and urine can soak into grout.

I used to rescue dogs, I've destroyed a lot of flooring.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »
Maybe say yes for a set period of time (like 1or 2 weeks) until they can find a longer term placement for the dog?

volleyballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »
The cynic in me says the dog is actually theirs and has been in the rental since day 1. Can you somehow pop over and see? Even if that's not the case, it could be a slippery slope to a problem tennant.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »
Do you live in the other half?Otherwise why do you care if it barks?
If I was renting half of a pet-free duplex you can bet I would be absolutely pissed to hear dog barking coming from the other half.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:32:00 PM »
I'm a push over on a lot of things too.  But they literally just moved in and want to change the terms of your lease..  I'd say no to this as well.

exactly

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 07:40:13 PM »
^I agree. If there is a tenant under a no pet policy in the other half of this duplex, then it's an absolutely hard no from me.

Let's suppose this is all true:
Mom has other options for her dog . . . don't fall for it. If she's in a rehab home, then the dog can stay at her place and she can get a pet sitter. Yes, it costs money, usually. If she's out of the home 4-6 months in rehab, then likely she can let someone house-sit/pet sit as a room in exchange for pet sitting arrangement. If Mom's recovering at home, then it doesn't make sense she doesn't want the dog's company. She can get a pet sitter, friend, or neighbor to come help feed the dog & take it out for walks.

Personally I think this is a made up story anyway. Color me cynical. Because I've had some major injuries and still managed to keep the dog in my home. I can't imagine telling someone to take my dog for 4-6 months because I want the dog around for company. My guess is that Mom is just fine and they either want to get a dog or they've already done it.

If you live in the other half of the duplex, then they likely only offered the pet deposit because they'll be caught for sure. Or they might be worried about the tenant on the other side ratting them out.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:59:23 PM »
You're right, I have enough problems without adding to it. It was no pet because that was my decision based on careful consideration. Now just need to consider how to word the email response.

oh that's the easy part. short and sweet! just grab one of these

sorry but no, we cannot change the pet policy

or

unfortunately no, the lease does not allow pets for any length of time

or

I hope your mom gets well soon! But no, the dog cannot stay on the property

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 09:49:43 PM »
I once rented to a family with one kid and no pets. After they moved in I saw 2 kids and a dog. "But it's my sister's kid, he's just staying with us. And it's his dog." Turns out the kid and dog were staying with them permanently.

And they didn't have the second month's rent. But they did leave when I asked them to.

There are kennels that are in the business of taking care of dogs when the owner isn't able to care for them. Tell them to find one.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 09:57:36 PM »
I'm a LL and we always say "No Pets", when we list a rental. Our houses are in a Senior Community and the tenants get lonely as they get older. Two different tenants asked permission to get pets and because they are good, long term tenants, we agreed. They each paid substantial pet deposits and we modified their leases. They're still renting from us years later and we love them and their pets. Note that none of these properties have any common walls.

Under the circumstances you describe, NFW.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 03:27:40 AM »
This is precisely how scammers operate.

Your new tenant may just be a good guy trying to help his mom out.  But I wouldn't put money or property on it.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 06:04:53 AM »
Here in Virginia, this is how things went for a recent local case, with support from the state attorney general----
https://roanoke.com/news/nrv/pulaski-landlord-settles-housing-discrimination-suit-over-emotional-support-dog/article_c006e444-6d92-11eb-8ccb-6f0075e039fa.html 

A couple had an emotional support animal (110 lb dog for PTSD/stress), signed a lease for a townhouse that didn't allow pets, informed management that their dog would coming as well, management said no and then said ok for a fee, then the landlord sent a letter to have the dog removed a few months later, the couple sued and won a $30,000 settlement.  There were other lawsuits as well between landlord and tenant for unpaid rent and property repair/maintenance issues.  The article doesn't clearly go through all the details.

Its very easy to register an animal for emotional support, and in Virginia (perhaps other states) they are not considered pets.  I hope laws eventually change.  Be aware that if the dog is sent away, it may come back (for emotional support) due to the stress put on your tenant from worrying about its wellbeing.

I'm not coldhearted--- I allow pets in my rentals and don't have issues.  I just think that a landlord with a no pet policy shouldn't have to allow animals to accommodate abusive laws/tenants.

edited--- to correct some details
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:15:22 AM by uniwelder »

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 07:01:35 AM »
I responded to the tenant’s email yesterday, kept it businesslike but not totally cold. No response at this point. The tenant in the other side has been there over 2 years and is absolutely freakin’ great. I’m sure if there’s a dog in there I’ll know very shortly, it’s an old house and easy to hear things in the other unit. There’s almost no yard and no sidewalk to walk anywhere so it’s really not a good setup for a dog all the way around.