Author Topic: Tenant Getting Unapproved Pet - What to Do?  (Read 4152 times)

SeattleStache

• Stubble
Tenant Getting Unapproved Pet - What to Do?
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
I found my current tenant via the internal "For Sale" list at my work. My tenant recently posted a "Wanted" email looking for supplies for her new puppy. The lease specifies one pet (she currently has a cat) and she has not contacted me about having an additional pet. I live out of state and have a local property manager who handles the rental. What would you suggest I do in this situation? I'm concerned about the damage a puppy has the potential to do to the unit, especially since it is fully carpeted.

Thanks for any advice

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tenant Getting Unapproved Pet - What to Do?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
It's possible the cat has died, she's temporarily keeping the pet for someone else, etc., so there is a slim possibility she's not in violation of the lease.  Tell the property manager and ask them to investigate the situation.  (That's what you pay them for, no?)   I'd suggest to the property manager not to tell the tenant how they found out if they don't need to.  Make a record of the "ask" for supplies and keep it for your files just in case though.  Look up the laws for your state, as to what you can require (e.g., if the tenant+dog stays, a pet fee?)  If you don't have restrictions on age of pet, I'm not sure you can complain about it being a puppy specifically.

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »
You can ask your property manager to discuss your concerns with your tenant. I am sure he will be able to find a solution. But for future, make sure you clearly mention such terms in the lease.

Frs1661

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:35:48 AM »
If the manager drops by and knocks on the door the puppy is likely to bark. This would be a natural time for the PM to bring up the issue of an unapproved pet.

Just decide on your preferred resolution beforehand. Do they have to get rid of the dog or leave? Will you accept an additional deposit or pet rent?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:31:21 AM »
It sounds like pets are approved on the lease.  Ultimately it may boil down to exactly what the lease states.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »
For future leases, have language stating that pets needs to be approved by landlord. My criteria is that dogs need to be at least 2 years old (no puppies).

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 06:57:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is much appreciated. I'll make sure the lease is updated at renewal.

DeanW5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »
Having pets when none are allowed, or having more pets than what is allowed is considered as lease violation. So it could be a reason for eviction.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »
While you might be technically correct (the best kind of correct). I think evicting someone because he got a puppy is overreacting. An additional deposit and a minor increase for wear and tear seem appropiate to me.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
While you might be technically correct (the best kind of correct). I think evicting someone because he got a puppy is overreacting. An additional deposit and a minor increase for wear and tear seem appropiate to me.

You clearly haven't seen what an animal can do to a house. 90% of them may not cause much damage, but every once in a while...

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
I have strict no dogs but other pets on approval terms on my appt leases.
We also rent out our basement to someone and agreed she could have her awesome dog ( with trail period) and a HUGE( 3 x rent) deposit, she was very happy and has turned out to be the best tenant ever.

If you want to enforce terms of lease, enforce terms of lease. I would not recommend turning a blind eye however. If you want to keep tenant and let her have a dog, write new lease and demand HUGE deposit.

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »
Thanks everyone. The update is that now she is no longer getting a dog but I will be sure to update the lease if/when she resigns in June to provide more specifics about any pets.