Author Topic: Tech Tenants: Prospective Tenant is an Affiliate Marketer?  (Read 1137 times)

Evie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tech Tenants: Prospective Tenant is an Affiliate Marketer?
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »
So this is kind of a weird one I thought one of you might have some ideas on.  Husband and I own a duplex and have rented the back unit for the last five years to a number of different tenants. They have all worked out great. This rental cycle I am getting a large influx of "tech tenants," mainly late 20s young guys who list hugely outsize salaries for the one bedroom apartment I am renting. They are almost all affiliate marketers or "entrepreneurs" with few actual employment references because they are self employed and claim to have been their whole careers. Now, maybe they are mustachians with great hustle looking for a cheaper place so they can FIRE, but I kind of doubt it.

Amazon is moving a small contingent of engineers into my town, and I have gotten one or two applications from their folks relocating, so I expect this is the kind of spillover that these businesses bring.  But I'm just curious what anyone who has 1) rented to affiliate marketers; 2) had tech suddenly take off in their smaller off market town (e.g. not SF or NYC) has seen in the rental market. Regal me with your stories!  I am mainly just curious and amused (I run background and credit check through mysmartmoves.com and I actually call references so I'm not overly concerned about not being able to find the right tenant). 

It's a high cost of living area in an R1  University town so most of my tenants have been academics, postdocs, etc. Income verification is a breeze because the University provides contract offers and runs their own screening and background checks.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tech Tenants: Prospective Tenant is an Affiliate Marketer?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »
IMO it’s perfectly reasonable to ask for verification of employment and earnings. It’s not much different than a bank lending to people who are self employed. 2 years of employment history and bank statements.

If someone is unwilling to verify employment then sorry, they will have to move on. Lawful source of income is a requirement.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
It’s the same as dealing with any other self employed person.  Ask for references and verify income or assets.  You might need to see prior year tax returns or bank accounts. 

Or ask for a co-signer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
Good points on requesting bank statements and tax returns. Thanks! I'll likely just skip the hassle and go with another tenant since I am getting some good applicants. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
So are these affiliate marketers youtubers who got hit by youtube's huge reduction in payments and they're now going after advertisers for their youtube channel?

That's the first thought I had reading this. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!