Author Topic: tax question  (Read 1645 times)

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
tax question
« on: December 01, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
Does anyone know what the tax implications are for selling a rental property as well as your home in the same year? Thanks in advance!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: tax question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
Anywhere from "none" to "significant" depending on the specifics.

E.g., how much depreciation recapture on the rental, capital gains on both, purchasing/not purchasing other rental and/or residence property, etc.?

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
The rental I'll be selling for 40k less than I bought it for.  Our house, we might make around 30k and would move to a rental.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
I'm going to guess "not a significant impact" but you might want to buy yourself a copy of TaxAct for ~$25 and run the actual numbers.  Or use whatever other software you prefer - or even do it by hand. :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »
The rental I'll be selling for 40k less than I bought it for.  Our house, we might make around 30k and would move to a rental.
How long did you hold the rental? How much depreciation have you claimed over the life of the property? If you didn't claim it, how much could you have claimed? The IRS is mean about that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2553574-depreciation-recapture-on-sale-of-rental-property-for-gain

If you lived in your current primary residence for 2 of the last 5 years the sale is probably exempt from capital gains.

If you move into this particular rental and live there for 2 years instead of selling it, you might be able to do the same thing.