Author Topic: Tax Free Real Estate Investments via Self Directed IRA/Roth/401K  (Read 2286 times)

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
I've been heads down since late May reading books on RE investing - especially from arebelspy's   RE Reading List .

BUT not exactly what I've been looking for.  I've done SFH investing for many years, and now I'm trying to get good deep-dive information on two topics:
1) Note investing - buying mortgage paper (promissory notes) and getting higher rates of return than the stock market, and
2) RE Investing via a Self-Directed Retirement Account with a checkbook LLC (in my case, most likely a SD solo Roth IRA).

I've read through some fairly self-promotional books on the topics, with two more to go (so more on this topic in 2 weeks?).  BUT... this week I found a really good on-line book resource that puts all the pieces together:

The Insider's Guide to Tax-Free Real Estate: Retire Rich Using Your IRA  by Diane Kennedy and Dolf de Roos
  [available online via library.books24x7.com] 

Best chapter for me was Chapter 10:  The Nuts & Bolts of Setting up, Maintaining, and Running your IRA or Tax-Free LLC.   
I will note a couple of issues I had with it:
a.) I've read other books by Dolf de Roos, and they're largely of the self-promotional variety - even so, I recommend this one in spite of his other books for its organization and content.
b.) The book is 10 years old, and has some outdated info (such as IRA contribution limits for 2005/2006, etc). 
c.) In discussing the possible ways to withdraw funds from IRA/Roth IRA before 59-1/2, they completely missed the 5 year IRA conversion ladder withdrawals as spelled out so well by MadFIentist (in the IRA Conversion Ladder discussions). 

As for Note Investing, BiggerPockets.com has good information.  One of the best tips was: 
Find a note you like at one of the note databases (like FCIexchange.com, AmericanNoteWarehouse.com, or the many others), buy one, and try it out for yourself. 

Anyone else have a favorite book or deep-dive resource(s) on Self-Directed IRA's and checkbook LLC's?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Tax Free Real Estate Investments via Self Directed IRA/Roth/401K
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »
It's easy to do something against the law with a self directed IRA invested in real estate. You aren't allowed to have your labor contribute anything to the property. Be careful.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »
Yes, thanks.  WELL understood.  The book is also very clear about that.  This is a very HANDS OFF plan.
One can lose up to 50% of the assets in the Self Directed IRA as penalties if any transactions are handled improperly.

This strategy takes lots of research, and a good self-directed fund administrator.

Also... my plan is to use the Self-Directed Roth IRA as a vessel to hold mortgage notes - not rental properties. Mortgage Notes to be purchased by the SD-Roth via checkbook LLC.  The note payments will go directly to the SD-Roth, and since I won't own the properties the notes are written against, there's no conflict with the rules.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:20:23 PM by Mother Fussbudget »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
I also like notes a lot more than rentals in SDIRAs, simply because they are a lot more hands off in general (if they're performing).

As far as education, pick a good SDIRA custodian so you can ask them questions related to prohibited transactions and have a high degree of confidence in the answers.

In terms of education around notes, there's a fair number of note conferences that you can attend throughout the year, and no shortage of people seeking to sell you information on it.  Noteworthy is my favorite, personally.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!