Author Topic: Stove is on the kaputs in Rental  (Read 8795 times)

usmarine1975

Stove is on the kaputs in Rental
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Ok so I figured this could be a general topic that everyone faces especially landlords.  Maybe it would be helpful to others out there.

Got a call from a tenant that the oven does not work but it does work on broil.  I went to check it out over the weekend not a normal thing for me.  But between me and talking to a repairmen on the phone I was able to diagnose the issue pretty well.

Initially I assumed the element had went bad.  Not the case both get red hot when on Broil.  The bake is the only thing not working.  I am told that is a switch issue and with older stoves can present some problems especially in getting a replacement part.

So would you fix it?

Buy a new one at a cost of about $550.00?

Buy a used one costing $40.00 to $250.00  depending where purchased might have a 30 day warranty.
Basically if it works your good if not you get your money back?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Stove is on the kaputs in Rental
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Craigslist for a decent used? There's always tons of 1-2 year old appliances on there from folks redecorating and dumping their practically untouched appliances. Not sure how to check to make sure it works before purchase, but should be some way to make sure before taking off with it.

But if it was me (and I'm not a landlord) I'd probably fix it (repair guy) if it was under $100, and get a used one if it's over. Only way I'd spring for new is if it was for my own personal use - not a rental.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
DH is handy and fixes that type of thing with our rentals. He likely uses a < $$$ logic as well, I am not sure what that is because I think he also goes with his gut, and the age of the appliance is also a factor...

fxsts12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
Pick one up on Craig's list for under 250. Its a cheap upgrade and fix the other one and resell it. Renters will be happy you fixed the problem and it should last. I bought two glass top stoves under $250 last year. Just make sure you don't replace everything with problems.

usmarine1975

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
I am currently looking on Craigslist for a stove have a few e-mails sent will try to call tonight.

Trying to find out more info on the current stove.

Bottom Element goes warm during bake but will not glow.  When Oven is placed on Broil both elements glow red. 

Technician felt it was the switch for the baking and it would cost $250.00 to repair.  I am wondering if it's something I might be able to do cheaper.  Not normally one to tackle an electrical issue but considering the cost of stoves if it's a $30.00 part it might be worth a try.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »
Veteran landlord, CL is the bomb for appliance, we no longer deal much with that except for lng term tenants,  on our rentals, I say any appliances in the house stay with the house but they are a bonus and I will not replace them if they go bad. We rent houses, if you want to rent appliances, well that is a different business.

usmarine1975

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
This is an apartment in the city.  Most moving in do not have their own appliances in our area. I like the idea but it would put us at odds with our competition.

usmarine1975

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »
I usually prefer new or used from a local appliance store. Mom and pop shop. Wife is pushing for used and considering it.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »
CL or used appliance shop is the way to go in that case. Pretty much all of our appliances are CL and we even bought an entire kitchen- 16 all maple cabinets, synthetic granite counter top, sink, faucet, garbage disposal, stove, fridge, dishwasher, over the range microwave for 2k off CL (it came out of a 380 K house and was very nice). All appliances went in one flip, cabinets in another. Worked out pretty well.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »
I usually prefer new or used from a local appliance store. Mom and pop shop. Wife is pushing for used and considering it.
You might be able to do all of the above.

Buy a (used) replacement stove on Craigslist, make your tenant happy, and get that burden off your back.  Next year you may even be able to raise the rent.

Hold on to the old stove until you're satisfied that you know whether you want to fix it or pass it on.

Then either fix it and flip it yourself, or put the stove on Craigslist for someone else who's eager to flip it with their appliance-repair skills.  The Re-Craigslist craze is catching on across the nation, and you'll have several buyers who might want the stove just for the parts.

Worst case:  sell the old stove to the Mom & Pop Shop for them to fix & flip.

usmarine1975

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
That's what I am considering now. I have two viable options. Need to call tomorrow.

I even started looking into what a switch would cost and how to replace it.  Debated holding for when another goes but I will prob sell if I can.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:56:22 PM by usmarine1975 »

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 05:37:36 AM »
Not sure if you said how old you think the oven is - that would certainly factor into this. I'd look into the average life of each appliance.

My strategy is different than what most here have mentioned. I prefer to buy low end new appliances from Lowe's. I can usually find a good sale price or use their price match policy to get a great deal on something that has good reviews. Lowe's will deliver, install and haul away for free. That way I don't even have to go to the rental at all - they just meet my tenant.

Saves me a bunch of time in trying to go check out used appliance, get truck and deliver, install and haul away. Plus, since I consider my places long term rentals I now have an appliance that should have a ~15 year life span that I don't have to deal with again. If I factor in my time this seems like a great solution. I do budget 5% a year of my rental income toward repairs & maintenance so rolling over a regular set of appliances & mechanicals is factored into my plan.

usmarine1975

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
We have owned that building since 2007 and the stove came with it.  Probably a good 5 to 10 years old at least.  I didn't research it.  I think a new project for me is going to be making a list of all the appliances we have with how old they are and start a running list of when we maintain, replace etc...  Too many to keep track of these days in my head.

I usually like the new approach as well.  I use a local shop because they tend to give me a good price and will deliver haul away as well.  I have had one incident in which the appliance had a problem for about 6 months and the tenant didn't notify me until just 5 days past a year on the warranty.  The local shop was able to push it through on Warranty.  Not sure Lowes would have been as diligent. 

Although I do get a 10% discount at Lowes.  I do like to give business to the mom and pop shops.  Help's keep them around.  As long as their prices are in range. 

And I agree I am not particularly into checking out these 3 stoves picking up installing etc...  But you know how those arguments go with the wife.  We are trying to cut cost across the board and this is one as well.  Thanks for the input.  I have been managing my own rentals for 14 years and I don't think I will ever stop learning something new.

usmarine1975

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »
I have been in discussion with different craigslist sellers.  The issue I run into is below.

1) I need to pick up the item
2) No guarantee and only cash accepted
3) I take all the risk
4) Cheapest price is 150.00 but looks to be as old as the current model.  some more recent but still 5 to 10 yrs old at 175 or 200.
5) I can buy one from a mom and pop shop for $250.00 with a 90 day warranty.  I need to pick up install and that's assuming the cord is the same as what I currently have

Buying new

1) I can purchase a new stove from Lowes for $339.00 with a cord costing around $25.00.  I also receive a 10% military discount so knock $35 off purchase price then add sales tax.  They deliver and install new stove.  (not sure if they take the old one away) Has a warranty and is brand new

2) I can purchase one at Home Depot close to the same price.  No discount they deliver, install, and take old one away.  Still have to buy a cord but they don't specify which so I don't have to even check which cord 3 or 4 prong.

I like the mom and pop shop but I really don't want to lug a stove up and down a set of steps.  For a new one they are around $500 or more with delivery.

The wife and I are going to discuss this tonight but I am leaning towards Lowes.  I love that they have a all time Military discount and honor it at all times no questions asked save producing a military ID and my VA ID works.

I could try to sell the old unit but I just don't know that it's worth it.  Till I carry it down transport it etc... 

I will let you know what we do end up deciding.

Angie55

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
Lowe's will have free haul away. Also, they will price match off of anywhere on the internet. If you price match you are supposed to get another 10% off the matched price. It will depend what manager you get if they will apply the military discount on top of that.

tccoastguard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
Home depot does a ten percent military discount as well. I get out all the time buying stuff for my basement renovation.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:50:35 PM »
The last time I bought an appliance, Home Depot had a 110% price-matching policy. So, if Lowes is selling the same model for less, Home Depot will match the price and give you a 10% discount on top of it. That's how we got a good deal on our washer/dryer. They also did free installation for it; not sure if they do that for stoves too.

usmarine1975

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »
I have had trouble at HD getting the military discount and google says they only offer on holidays like labor day etc...

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »

More food for thought from an old stove geek...  Older stoves are likely to last forever.  If you're replacing, replace with something that doesn't contain a computer.  My stove is from 1951.  I expect it to last until I die.  It contains not much more than plumbing.

If your stove is a high end brand, there is likely to be a group of crazy folk on the internet that like to keep them alive.  Along with that group comes a parts and knowledge supply.

usmarine1975

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
I feel that way about gas ranges. And have no problem buying an old gas range. Electric ranges not so much. But I get it.  If we buy new it will be a very basic no computer model.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »
I have had trouble at HD getting the military discount and google says they only offer on holidays like labor day etc...
It's up to the store manager, and there are different policies for veterans (with veteran's ID cards) vs active-duty or Reserve/Guard or retirees.

I get the discount every time that I remember to ask for it.

usmarine1975

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
Yea I should have mentioned that.  Retiree's get a much better racket than say us short timers.  I did 6 years in the Reserves with 2 tours to Iraq.  Granted you put in a lot more time so it does make sense.  We have a local commissary that I tried to shop in.  Yea didn't work out so well.  Although I hear they may change that rule and allow more access.  I think to keep them open.

Lowes has never given me a problem and has always went out of there way to give me the discount.  Home Depot the cashiers have just told me no they don't have that program anymore because they didn't want to get the over ride.  So for me I just go to Lowes.  I show my VA card at Lowes it's enough.

I didn't get the discount the other week simply because I didn't want to wait in the line with my son.  I used the self-check out and I could maybe get the lady to do it but I wasn't buying much so it didn't really amount to enough for me to be concerned.

Reserves didn't get the same GI Bill either that the recruiter didn't tell me either.  I think that has changed though.  Don't get me started on that topic Nords we could go on for hours. 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »

More food for thought from an old stove geek...  Older stoves are likely to last forever.  If you're replacing, replace with something that doesn't contain a computer.  My stove is from 1951.  I expect it to last until I die.  It contains not much more than plumbing.

If your stove is a high end brand, there is likely to be a group of crazy folk on the internet that like to keep them alive.  Along with that group comes a parts and knowledge supply.

As a renter, if I see a stove from 1951 in the unit, I'm about 90% less likely to rent the apartment! It's gotta have something really special about it for me to rent it with a stove that old. I actually prefer the $500 gas range in good condition.

usmarine1975

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
Thank's Rebecca for your last comment.  That is also a part of my thought process.  We have decent tenants in that unit and it is one of the older kitchens that we do have.  A new stove would most certainly make the tenants feel a little better.  It's not the only part of the decision per say.  But it definitely should be part of the equation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:32:07 PM by usmarine1975 »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »

As a renter, if I see a stove from 1951 in the unit, I'm about 90% less likely to rent the apartment! It's gotta have something really special about it for me to rent it with a stove that old. I actually prefer the $500 gas range in good condition.

I am sure some folks feel that way.  I've bought a handful of them and queried on a ton of them.  Usually they're snatched up by landlords that want an inexpensive stove.

A point here:  While they may send you running, many of these (and the models I'm looking for in particular) were THE thing to have.  These were the very high end stuff of the day.  The sticker price of the day adjusted for 2014 dollars is about $3000.  They can be had for $100-$300.  And they are made to cook on retained heat.  Turn them on.  Put food in. Turn them off.  Wait.   Very mustacian.  Lesson: don't pass over old stuff because it's old.  In this case it means built to last.

usmarine1975

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
I won't pass over because its old its a matter of finding a stove that fits our needs and gives the best value for the purchase price. The mom and pop shop gets used ones in that get snatched up by landlords quickly. So I get your point.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

I am sure some folks feel that way.  I've bought a handful of them and queried on a ton of them.  Usually they're snatched up by landlords that want an inexpensive stove.

A point here:  While they may send you running, many of these (and the models I'm looking for in particular) were THE thing to have.  These were the very high end stuff of the day.  The sticker price of the day adjusted for 2014 dollars is about $3000.  They can be had for $100-$300.  And they are made to cook on retained heat.  Turn them on.  Put food in. Turn them off.  Wait.   Very mustacian.  Lesson: don't pass over old stuff because it's old.  In this case it means built to last.

A stove from 1990 is old and crappy. A stove from 1951 is either "antique" or "vintage" (depending on whether the style of the rest of the apartment is traditional or mid-century modern, respectively).

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
Did you check the current draw with an ammeter?

Ignitor glowing but oven not heating

As long at the ignitor is being powered, the control system (hydraulic thermostat or electronic control) is doing its job. The ignitor, while glowing, may not be allowing the proper amount of current to flow through it to the oven gas valve for it to open. Proper testing (see the link at the bottom of the page) requires an ammeter to check the current flow through the ignition circuit to the oven bake/broil valve.

Myth: My oven ignitor is glowing so it must be good.
Weak oven ignitors can glow but not achieve an adequate resistance to allow the correct current to flow to the gas valve for it to open. They can also glow but not be quite hot enough to ignite the gas immediately. See 'Mini-Explosions' below for more on the latter.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
How about YouTube? Type in your make, model and problem. Someone out there will show you how to fix it.

Also, if you own a bunch of units and have storage, you should always be watching CL for deals. You know those appliances are all going to go eventually, so buy in anticipation of need.

Just an observation: If I see a unit with cheap-ass low-end appliances, I take it as a pretty good clue that the landlord is going to be the same way. Just sayin'.

usmarine1975

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 05:21:35 AM »
No Darin I didn't check the current. I noticed the element gets warm when oven is turned on. Glows red hot and is warm during broil.  From what I have read they only both turn on to pre heat.  Are you saying try and replace the bottom element anyway just to be sure its not the element. Its an electric stove.  If I could easily get a gas line to this location I would convert it to a gas range.

usmarine1975

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 05:24:43 AM »
Here is the offender. Sorry not the best picture.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:28:25 AM by usmarine1975 »

usmarine1975

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 06:16:01 AM »
Decision is made. We are going to Lowes today to purchase an electric replacement. $370.00 give or take with taxes and my military discount. Brand new with warranty. 

They will deliver and install price includes new electric cord.  Cheapest craigslist stove that was comparable was 200. Wasn't still plugged in and no implied warranty.  Cash and carry.  Yes its almost 200 cheaper if you don't consider my gas to pick it up my time to pick it up and install it carry it up a flight of stairs bring old one down a flight of stairs etc...  My other concern is having to go back in a year or so because something doesn't work and doing again.  We do have to drive to Lowes but I need to go anyway for some other supplies. Ordering online doesn't get me the military discount.

Thanks for all the responses I did read and consider them all.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »

A stove from 1990 is old and crappy. A stove from 1951 is either "antique" or "vintage" (depending on whether the style of the rest of the apartment is traditional or mid-century modern, respectively).

LOL! I also run away from any apartment that includes the words "antique" or "vintage"! Although it may indicate a high-quality, long-lasting item in some circumstances, I never give LLs the benefit of the doubt -- to me, it looks like they're too cheap to upgrade. Not many LLs are mustacian. (and not many renters are, either)

(for that matter, I also don't bother with listings for "luxury" apartments -- 9 times out of 10, they're referring to "luxury" by 1985 standards)

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
No Darin I didn't check the current. I noticed the element gets warm when oven is turned on. Glows red hot and is warm during broil.  From what I have read they only both turn on to pre heat.  Are you saying try and replace the bottom element anyway just to be sure its not the element. Its an electric stove.  If I could easily get a gas line to this location I would convert it to a gas range.
You can ignore the info from my last quote since I thought you had a gas stove, but troubleshooting an electric heating element is similar. If you can stand lugging the old stove out/keeping it around as a back up, you can check the voltage to the heating element and if that's good, the resistance of the element.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111027184032AAyqtSd

mooreprop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
I know this reply is too late, but for future reference it might come in handy.  I always check the scratch and dent area at Lowe's then negotiate.  I purchased a $600 stainless steel front, glass-top stove for $150 last month just by asking.  It just had a small dent in the side that was not visible when it is in the kitchen.  I find that I have better luck in the evening, because the manager has gone home and the employees can't "ask permission", so they just sell me things for cheap.  For that stove, the employee said I could only have it for that price if I took it with me before they closed that evening since the manager might not approve it in the morning.
Some stores send their scratch and dent stuff to a regional location, so it pays to ask where the stuff goes at stores other than Lowe's.  We also purchased a $1000 stainless dishwasher (very nice) for $200 from one of those regional warehouses a couple of months ago.  My tenants really appreciate the higher end appliances that I provide, and they don't have to know that I got it for less.  If I cannot get a scratch and dent special, then I buy the lowest price new stove that they offer.  I try to keep a low end appliance for 10 years and then sell it while it is still works, using the proceeds toward the new stove. 

usmarine1975

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
I don't think its late for any post or even the gas stove. This thread isn't just for me.  I started it knowing we would look on craigslist and elsewhere before deciding. Can't imagine I am the only one needing to replace an appliance from time to time. We have done the scratch and dent route before.