Author Topic: Small amount of mold  (Read 2018 times)

Megatron

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 130
Small amount of mold
« on: August 06, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
Hi All,

So we closed on a short sale rental property last week. We have a bit of a small mold about 1X1 foot area in the basement bathroom ceiling.
From reading online, most sites suggested DIY, I was wondering what does the MMM community think. Would I need to take the ceiling apart to see how far the infestation? We did notice it during the inspection but decided to go ahead with the sale because it is a short sale.

Bobberth

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 311
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
Spray it with vinegar or bleach water to kill it and wipe away.  Wear breathing protection to be safe.  Remove/replace ceiling if needed.  Make sure you find and fix where it came from.  If you're going to hold rental properties, I suggest buying a $150-$200 ozone generator from ebay or amazon as they work well to remove mold and other smells you will encounter.


escolegrove

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 164
    • Reluctant Landlord
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
What did your inspector say? Mold back east is a normal although annoying occurs nice. I was always taught to spray it down and kill it. I would go in the attic and see how much you see. Based on what I have always been told that is a small enough job to do it yourself!

Another Reader

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 5109
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
DIY.  You don't want to go through an expensive and lengthy process to have the property declared mold free.  Find the cause and fix it first.  In a basement bathroom it's likely a ventilation issue or a small leak.  Installing a fan that vents outside often solves the problem if the issue is ventilation.  Remove all the affected sheetrock and patch and paint after bleaching and/or using a fungicide.

Mold is present almost everywhere.  When it's heavily concentrated and the spores are pouring into the air is when it becomes a health hazard.

Blindsquirrel

  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 657
  • Age: 1
  • Location: Flyover country
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
small amount of bleach solution will kill it. Need to solve the source of water, not water of activity=no growth

Thespoof

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »

Mr Mark

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1181
  • Location: Planet Earth
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
DIY.  You don't want to go through an expensive and lengthy process to have the property declared mold free.  Find the cause and fix it first.  In a basement bathroom it's likely a ventilation issue or a small leak.  Installing a fan that vents outside often solves the problem if the issue is ventilation.  Remove all the affected sheetrock and patch and paint after bleaching and/or using a fungicide.

Mold is present almost everywhere.  When it's heavily concentrated and the spores are pouring into the air is when it becomes a health hazard.

+1

mooreprop

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 85
Re: Small amount of mold
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
Definitely a do-it-yourself job.  Don't try to fix the problem without removing the drywall.  You need to remove the affected area, so where the moisture is coming from, and take care of the problem.  Cheap to do yourself.