Author Topic: Should I Only Qualify One Tenant?  (Read 2768 times)

Evie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I Only Qualify One Tenant?
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
So I have a weird situation I haven't encountered before.  One prospective tenant has great credit and a job that pays enough I can qualify her alone for the rent of $1525 per month (my min is 3X monthly).  She and what I presumed was her boyfriend toured the property together and they both applied. They were upfront that he did not have a job. 

When they turned in their application, they listed each other as roommates. But they seem to be a couple?  Have to run his credit and background still, but it just seemed weird.

They seem very nice and stable. I know the place the woman works (she is an engineer).  But I'm a little thrown by the random live in boyfriend whose only listed retail experience is working at a shave ice place (and nothing currently).  They're 22 so I don't expect a lot of job experience, but it seemed a bit like a red flag.

How do you deal with tenants where one qualifies, one doesn't, but collectively they do?

We have a few other potentially interested parties, but no one has completed their application yet.

Evie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Should I Only Qualify One Tenant?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
And I should clarify, when he literally lists no job and his last employment ended in 2014.  I often see one person in the couple make much more money, but nothing in two years?  They don't have credit cards, and no loans. They seem pretty frugal, but yeah still weird.

jwright

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Are they both going to be on the same lease?  Make them both wholly liable for the monthly rent?  That's what we do.  We rent to college student roommates and they are each responsible for the total rent regardless of whatever internal agreement they have about splitting it.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
Have hear from landlords that unmarried couples can be a real problem as renters.  The relationship sours, one moves out, then the other left behind can't pay the rent.
If she has financial capability of paying and good credit, I'd just make her the responsible party and keep his name off of things.

Evie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »
I just got another application in and the background check and credit came back really good. I may just go with this other applicant, who will be living in the unit only two weeks out of the month.  I know for a lot of people that would be ideal, but I do like having someone at the property full time for the simple reason that if anything goes wrong they are there to notice.  Thanks for the feedback. I'll make my decision tonight or tomorrow (after calling references).

Evie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
Ok, so I have an update for anyone who is interested. I called references today, and boy am I glad I did (I know people are lazy and don't always).  She gets glowing reviews, but the property management company mentioned they have violated parking rules and had an unregistered abandoned car parked on the lot, and apparently he got aggressive with the current landlord over some repair issue.  I was shocked the current landlord would tell me this, as I could be his ticket to getting rid of them, but he seems like a slum lord and was slightly upset they might be moving.  The death knell was the guy's credit score which came back and is below 600 with three late payments. Even though she would qualify if it was just her, I am going to go with the other better qualified applicant.

So definitely CHECK your references.   You would be surprised by what even the current landlords will tell you.

DeanW5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 01:58:02 AM »
So definitely CHECK your references.   You would be surprised by what even the current landlords will tell you.

Yes, Eve. I absolutely agree with you. No matter how good tenant's report and background check are, landlords's references could tell you even more about applicant. One more advise for the future, pay attention on the tenant's prior addresses and employment history. They probably won't stay long with you if they move too often. If they change job frequently, they may not be able to afford the apartment for months, when they look for a new job.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »

Yes, Eve. I absolutely agree with you. No matter how good tenant's report and background check are, landlords's references could tell you even more about applicant. One more advise for the future, pay attention on the tenant's prior addresses and employment history. They probably won't stay long with you if they move too often. If they change job frequently, they may not be able to afford the apartment for months, when they look for a new job.

I do not trust any landlord that gives good references, unless it is accompanied by a solid credit score.  A landlord that gives a bad reference can generally be trusted.

I use credit score on all applicants, even the 18-year old kid.  I do not need behavioral problems in my tenants.

bpleshek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
I know that this might be irrelevant, but if the sexes were reversed it might seem like he's an engineer with a good job and the woman is a home maker that occasionally works outside the home.  But not  since 2014.  You might want to figure out what your standard is(qualify both applicants individually or qualify both jointly) and stick to it.

Brian