Author Topic: Short term rental  (Read 2308 times)

$_gone_amok

• Stubble
Short term rental
« on: September 07, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
Does anyone have experience with short term/corporate housing rentals? I'm looking to buy a place where extended family could stay for a few months every year and I want to rent the place out the rest of the time. Is this advisable? Any thing that I should watch out for? Anyone have experience with airbnb.com?

Thanks!

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Short term rental
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
I do this.  My advice would be to know your market well.  Each city/town has its own market. 

My place does very well as a vacation rental for the summer and then switches to long term at a lower rate for the winter.  Check if there is a year-round market where you are looking by searching for properties online that would be similar to yours.  The other city I own in has limited summer rental markets because a load of university students sublet over the summer months.  It has a fairly steady winter market for corporate rentals but a lot of upscale condos rent out downtown.  I am going to try out the market after Christmas for corporate but I am not sure how it will go.

$_gone_amok

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
Do you recommend any websites to use to advertise for corporate rental other than airbnb and craigslist?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
I'm not sure because I am in Canada.  I use vacationrentals.com and it has been worthwhile.  Most common in the states seems vrbo

I think craigslist is good if you repost frequently and it is free.  I sometimes use this or kijiji or usedeverywhere.com or other popular free local online listings.

I do have my own website to offer as a link - that has been worthwhile too.