Author Topic: Sharing due-dilengce findings with owner who rejected offer?  (Read 1948 times)

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Sharing due-dilengce findings with owner who rejected offer?
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
Hi,
I recently investigated a vacant plot of land to subdivide and build. The owner wanted too much, and it's sat for a while on the market. He's been pending a couple times, but usually with someone who had a bank who would not fund until the permits were approved... so it fell apart then.

I did some digging, spent some time with the city to determine what needs to be done to build on it, figured out the costs to do so. In the end, there aren't enough develop-able lots to make it worth doing given the strict and extensive requirements for streets, etc. for the price he asked. So I offered him a price that left me some room for error and to make a little profit. Not much, but a little.

The owner has since rejected my offer. Not surprised... it was less than 1/10th his asking price.

I'm being asked to share my quotes, drawings, and figures.

I'm not actually obligated to do this, am I?

I suppose if he wants it, I could charge him. I normally charge $120/hr for engineering consulting, so that seems right... but this work is not within the scope of my PE license. I'd have to disclaim the shit out of it.

any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:57:18 AM by ncornilsen »

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
Re: Sharing due-dilengce findings with owner who rejected offer?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 08:06:12 AM »
I can't fathom why you'd be obligated in any way to share those with the owner. You put time and effort into gathering and creating the info. That would be a hard no for me.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:08:27 AM »

I suppose if he wants it, I could charge him. I normally charge $120/hr for engineering consulting, so that seems right... but this work is not within the scope of my PE license. I'd have to disclaim the shit out of it.

any thoughts?

Unless the owner hired and or paid you for the work you did you are under no obligation to share anything with him.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »

any thoughts?

Unless the owner hired and or paid you for the work you did you are under no obligation to share anything with him.

And if you did decide to anyway, you certainly can’t charge him for a service he didn’t request.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
Lol sounds like he wants to steal your idea!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:54:58 AM »
No way would I disclose my findings.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 11:04:58 AM »
You are under no obligation to share your research.

Would not sell it to him unless you pay an attorney to ensure you aren't liable for the plans and that you're not violating any laws about selling engineering work w/o the proper license.

If I were you, I'd just walk away. Sounds like he has an emotional attachment to the lot and/or extremely unrealistic expectations for what it's worth. In my experience it's almost never worth dealing with these cases.   

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 07:23:24 PM »
I would respond with an offer that's 50% less than your first one. Tell him you reviewed your information and that it turns out it is worth even less. Move that negotiation anchor further to your side.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:28:16 PM by NaN »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
I would just politely say that those materials cost my my time and money, and they are mine so I'm not comfortable sharing them, and leave it at that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!