Author Topic: Selling our rental - questions / advice  (Read 1216 times)

Maya

• Bristles
Selling our rental - questions / advice
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
Did you sell on your own or hire an agent?

Debating if we should try again (didn't work last time when vacant so rented it again) on our own or go directly for an agent.

Each visit will take 1h round trip driving
Will be limited in showings so we don't disturb tenants too much.

ETA : just changed my original question to remove some details.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:19:06 PM by Maya »

BrettGoldsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Selling our rental - questions / advice
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
You could potentially have luck selling it on your own, it just depends how you are marketing the property and if your market is "hot". If you are looking to save money the best case scenerio a buyer comes directly to you with an acceptable offer price and no agent involved. On the flip side you could be potentially losing money because an agent could potentially bring a higher offer in than you could procure on your own.

The two biggest advantages of using an agent is that they will place the property on the local MLS for all other agents to see and a great agent will protect you from potential liabilities which is priceless. When agents are involved you are typically giving 3% commission to the listing agent and 2% to the buyers agent

Many people do not have " the vision " so creating one can be beneficial. Staging a property isn't necessary cheap and could cost a few grand depending on the size of the property and the amounts of rooms you stage. If the house is fully remodeled and you stage it, it often brings the house to life. Once again it just depends on the market and the desirability of the property, if you can create a little bidding war between buyers it could be a beneficial spot for a seller to be in.

If you list the property low enough it will sell itself. If you want to attempt to further protect yourself from potential liabilities, do less work, and have a shot at getting more potential buyers, I'd recommend an agent.

If you have any questions or want to discuss this in more detail feel free to send me an email at Bgold@acgnow.com or give me a call at 310-564-6389

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!