Author Topic: Selling and then buying a house right now! Play by play with lots of updates!  (Read 16523 times)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: Selling and then buying a house right now! Play by play with lots of updates!
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Awesome! It's all happening, quickly!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Selling and then buying a house right now! Play by play with lots of updates!
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
That's really nice of new buyers to let you have three extra days to move your stuff out. It's really nice to be able to move the equity/money before you move the stuff ;-)

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
Day 57:

I think this is THE END.

We're moved in. A surprisingly high number of items are already unpacked and in their proper place. All TVs are mounted and operational. Kitchen is fully stocked with food and utensils, plates, etc. All electrical updates are finished. Cable is installed. Security system installed (moved from our last house). New washer and dryer are delivered.

Only two big items left: 1) Painting - it will be done by Tuesday evening. Includes dining room and both kids' rooms.  2) And some general handyman things which include: repairs to the deck and blowing out the area under the basement steps to create more storage (my wife suspects there's an old pot growing area under there).

Where we SAVED money or spent it VERY wisely:
1) negotiating interest rate and closing costs (basically got them down to nothing) with our bank.
2) negotiated price down $2500 based on some needed repairs
3) negotiated price down another $7500 based on appraisal
4) used VERY good and inexpensive moving company. The guys were AWESOME. $1060 covered the entire move. They moved 98% of what we own. We moved the 2% (breakables) in our jeeps.
5) asked security guy to reinstall our system for free - he did

TAKEAWAYS:

1) Moving is expensive and it sucks. I never want to do it again.

2) My wife is super organized (and I'm not bad) and it was still really hard to keep everything straight. I don't see how unorganized people do it. Seriously, I don't.

3) Looking at real estate apps is addicting. I need to go cold turkey.

Thanks for much to everyone who read, or chimed in, or gave advise, etc! I'm ending this thread and going back to investing more time into my Journal.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
takeaways
1. this is how everyone feels after moving.
2. yeah its awful
3. i still get all the MLS listings for my neighborhood.  i want to always know the prices and what things are selling for i just love it.