Author Topic: Sell one year from now?  (Read 1221 times)


  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 215
Sell one year from now?
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »
I need help evaluating the implications of holding on to our current house when we move to another city for my husband's new job. Full disclosure: I want to sell, but husband thinks we should wait a year and rent it out until we know whether the new job and new city are going to work out. I get why that's comfortable, but I also think it will be a lot easier to sell this spring, and I don't think there's much advantage to holding on. What I really want to know is whether there are any hidden costs that we aren't considering.

Market Value: $275,000
Original Purchase price: $202,000
Original Mortgage Amount: 160,000
Interest Rate: 3.75%
Mortgage Term: 30 years
Term remaining: 25 years
Amount remaining on mortgage: approx $150,000
Monthly PITI: approx $1100
Estimated monthly rent: $1500

No deferred maintenance.

I know, I know. This house would be a terrible rental investment. It doesn't make financial sense to keep it. DH is quite confident that he can get a good renter from some incoming staff at his current company, and even with that he's assuming that we will basically break even on renting. The purpose of keeping the house is not to make money, but to have a place to come back to if the new job or new town don't work. We really do love the place and put a lot of work into it. If it makes him feel better, I'm willing to wait, but I want to go into it with eyes open.


  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 4567
Re: Sell one year from now?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »
This isn't really a financial issue, IMO. Sure, you might lose a couple grand renting it out if things don't go well, or break even at best. It's not a great investment as a rental as you already know.

But, say there's a 20% chance you move back (let's assume you want to live in the house if that's the case). Selling and re-buying a similar house will cost you in the ballpark of $20k, let alone the time and hassle. So your expected utility for holding the house is something like $4k.

That's not big money either, but it's not nothing. And if your husband is worried about the new city/job, the peace of mind is worth something too. So unless it's a terrible financial burden (ie, you are in real trouble if you need to replace the roof suddenly or something), I'd keep it. You have 2 years before capital gains is an issue.



  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 215
Re: Sell one year from now?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »
Thanks, Walt. That's a helpful way to look at it.