Author Topic: Screening tenants  (Read 1390 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Screening tenants
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
I know it is illegal to discriminate based on family situation, but does anyone give preference to families rather than roommate situations? I have a 4 bedroom home available and I have an application that consists of 2 roommates, neither of which would likely qualify on their own based on finances (but household income together does). I have other applicants that are families and household income qualifies. We have been burned in the past by roommates that sign a lease together and one bails, leaving the other unable to afford the place. But I fear avoiding these situations is discrimination.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Screening tenants
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »
I just saw one of the roommates has a civil judgement on her, so I will deny based on that (As I have with many others) Sigh.... 7 applications and not one good applicant. Back to the drawing board.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
Re: Screening tenants
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
Just get better tenants altogether.

I had one roommate that got married right after signing a lease.  She could not move her SO in, as the other roommate did not want 4 people living there.  She paid the entire year, even though she never slept in the apartment even one night.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!