Author Topic: Running a criminal background and eviction check  (Read 2362 times)

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Running a criminal background and eviction check
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:06:46 AM »
What services do you use to run criminal background and eviction checks on rental applicants, and do you always run these reports when screening applicants?  Also, if an applicant asked to give you a copy of their credit report rather than you running it yourself, is that a cause for concern?  The reason given was that she did not want the check to negatively impact her score.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Running a criminal background and eviction check
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
What services do you use to run criminal background and eviction checks on rental applicants, and do you always run these reports when screening applicants?

mysmartmove.com

Yes, always.

Also, if an applicant asked to give you a copy of their credit report rather than you running it yourself, is that a cause for concern?

Nope, we have to run it.  Too many ways they can easily manipulate it that way.  Plus the credit check verifies who they say they are.  We tell them "Sorry, everyone has to run through the system, that's part of the application process that can't be skipped.  Feel free to give us the copy you have too, but it still needs to happen on our end as well."

The reason given was that she did not want the check to negatively impact her score.

Let them know it doesn't affect their score - it's not an application for credit, an inquiry initiated by them won't affect their score.

More often I hear them saying they want to do it to save on the cost - just charge an "application fee" that covers that, and say they still need to pay the application fee.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »
A question for arebelspy.  I am very interested in using the service you posted, mysmartmove.com.  I went to their website and I checked everywhere and they did not have a price for their service.  Could you tell me what it is?  We are in the process of re-renting our single-family house and considering some of our tenants in the past have not been the best, I think we need to start checking them out financially rather than going on gut feelings and paystubs!  Thanks

Miss Prim

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:50:08 AM »
Criminal Report and Credit Score & Recommendation   $25.00
Full Credit Report & Eviction Report $10.00 (Additional)

I have the tenants pay them directly (they put in a credit card when filling out the info).

Go through biggerpockets.mysmartmove.com and use coupon code STD5BGRPKTS to take $5 off (as of right now - if it's expired google BiggerPockets Smartmove Coupon Code to see a newer one, but they should always have a $5 off open to anyone - if you're a Pro member they have a code to take $10 off).

You still need to verify the financials yourself, but this does credit report/criminal history checks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.