Author Topic: Replace Boiler or...  (Read 1851 times)

Neo

• Stubble
Replace Boiler or...
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
Hi,

Earlier this year I purchased my first rental property. It's a brick 4-family building with 4 one-bedroom apartments. There are tons of these things all over Cincinnati, very common here.

The building uses a gas-powered boiler to provide heat. The boiler is pretty old and I'm not sure how much longer it will last, so I'm starting to think about replacement, budget, etc.

Two questions for the group:

1. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate to replace a boiler?
2. Is there a different heating method that I should be considering instead of simply replacing the old boiler with a new boiler?

Thanks!

fishnfool

• Bristles
Re: Replace Boiler or...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:51:22 AM »
Ballpark, $5k to $7k

I suggest getting a professional to look at it and go from there. Get a few different estimates and try to get local references.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »

2. Is there a different heating method that I should be considering instead of simply replacing the old boiler with a new boiler?

Thanks!

You're talking hot water pipes and radiators, yes? Assuming you have water damage coverage (pipe burst), then no - ripping a load of pipes out and replacing with ducting is pointless and expensive.

I, personally, would almost kill for radiators. I hate the forced air stuff here.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
I have forced air and I can tell that radiators are much better.

64 F with radiators feels warmer than 70 F with forced air in my opinion!

If pipes are already in, and I dont know if this is possible but I dont see why not, maybe just go with a natural gas (if you have it in the building) boiler or even a tankless one dedicated for the heating (very common in Europe) I am sure cost would be much much less than the 5k previously said.

srob

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
You might consider installing ductless minisplit systems or even baseboard electric heating if the existing electrical system can handle it. That way you could have the tenants cover their own heat (assuming there are separate electric meters) and be responsible for how much they use. If the place is poorly insulated then it might be too expensive to have electric heat though.

You may be surprised how long a boiler can last...one of my rentals has one from 1978 and it has been trouble free since I have owned it.

Luckee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 06:08:05 AM »
An old cast iron boiler can have a life expectancy of 30 years or more. There are very few mechanical parts compared to newer high efficiency boilers.  If the boiler is in fairly decent shape you can upgrade the pilot ignition to a spark ignition.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
Start saving for replacement, get a few quotes on what it would take but do not change it until it breaks, seriously some of that stuff will last insanely long. Just keep setting aside the money for replacement. Plus the technology keeps changing, 5 or 10 years later makes a difference.