Author Topic: Rental Properties and vacation  (Read 2108 times)

bpleshek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rental Properties and vacation
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
I have a new rental available 11/1.  The plan is to fill it shortly.  It's still under repair.  I have a second rental which has had the same tenants for 3 years.  I've barely been called out to the property(twice in 3 years).  However, the new rental is a new property to me and while I'm doing everything I can to have all the pieces working, I might miss something. 

I have had a vacation out of the country scheduled for about 9 months(before I even thought about buying this property).  I will be leaving Oct 28 and returning Nov 12.  Since this is a cruise, I won't have access to my cell phone and limited internet access(I get 30 minutes free for the trip and can pay for more as necessary).  But it is very slow to use.

All my previous vacations has had me with my phone available to me.  So my question is, what should I do proactively in case there is an issue.  The person I would trust to "fix" an issue if I was gone normally is going with me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

fishnfool

• Bristles
Re: Rental Properties and vacation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »
Sounds like other than being told if a possible issue in your rental the tenant will be on their own. I would leave them with a phone # to get a plumber if needed. Other than that, the rest can wait till you get back. Water leaks would be my biggest concern but then again this property is new to you too. Make sure the wiring is all good too.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »
Get internet access on the cruise and enable WiFi calling.  You can at least get emails and texts.

Unless you can get it rented before you leave, you will have to wait until you get back.  Great renters look 4-6 weeks out, so you are pushing it by trying to rent so fast.

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »
I agree with NoNonsenseLandlord, you need to have internet access to stay updated about your property. Or, you may get professional help.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
Find a friend who you can handle and problems in exchange for a per-incident fee.

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »
I swear....nothing ever happens until I go out of town.  I had not heard from a single renter for six months (5 rentals).  I go out of town with spotty reception and a limb falls from a tree and puts a fricking hole in a roof when three days of rain is scheduled, a toilet starts leaking, and an AC goes out all at three different houses.

I have a plumber, electrician and AC guys I trust and don't mind leaving those numbers with tenants.  I emailed the tenants with the toilet and AC and gave them contact info and told them to schedule the work.  The roof was problematic because I do not want to pay a roofer for an emergency call.  Short term, I called my boss's college age son and paid him $100 to go over there on a Sunday, pick up the debris and secure a tarp over the hole and take good pictures.  This is a kid I trust who has handy man-ish experience.  Once the pics came in, I figured my local handyman could do it and I called him and gave him the tenant's number.  We agreed with scope of work and price and everything over the phone. 

I could've done most of this over email via the college kid and had him contact the handyman for me.  I do not think I could've done everything without at least internet.

My advice would be to pay somebody X amount up front and Y amount for each incident to be "on call".  It does not have to be an experienced handyman, it can even be a kid or your neighbor or whoever.  You just want somebody good at problem solving/decision making to keep the house standing until you get back. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 05:45:46 AM »
Since this is a cruise, I won't have access to my cell phone and limited internet access(I get 30 minutes free for the trip and can pay for more as necessary).  But it is very slow to use.

Just pay for it, check in a couple times a day.  Even if you normally DIY, just call a plumber or electrician or whatever is needed if something comes up.

No big deal.

Enjoy the trip!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
Brian…  Sounds like terrible timing but must have been a great opportunity.  My recommendation is to delegate more and start relying on others a little more.  It sounds like you are micromanaging a lot here which is going to be impossible for you to fully enjoy your vacation.

If I am away both my father and my brother have the ability to step in with any issues.  They even have specific powers of attorney to handle every possible and inconceivable issue.  With the person that you trust going with you...  well that means you need a third.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!