Author Topic: rental move in checklist for renting out a room?  (Read 2334 times)

bluepearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
rental move in checklist for renting out a room?
« on: April 23, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for all the great ideas on the forum!  I have finally taken the steps to significantly reduce my housing expense - tomorrow is the move in date of my new housemate!!

I am wondering what type of rental move in checklist I should use.  Since the housemate will only be having exclusive access to a bedroom and bathroom.

Should the checklist just list out her exclusive areas, or do I put in kitchen, living dining area etc. on the checklist?

thanks!

For example. this is a very detailed checklist, do I use it?
http://www.propertydo.com/move-in-check-list.html

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: rental move in checklist for renting out a room?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
Personally, when I have rented out a room in the past, I did a walk-though inspection of their space. I would include a tour of common areas and clearly list any house rules for private and shared spaces and get them to sign it....But doing a signed off room by room inspection of shared space is a little much. What would be considered normal wear and tear, how do you assign blame if something happens?

I think clearly stated and agreed upon expectations are far more important then a property condition check list. Are you keeping ALL your food/pantry ingredients separate? Do you have space set aside? Are you going to be having communal meals? How will it work? What are the details for shared expenses? Included in rent, paying a portion?  Do you have expectations of quiet during certain hours? Any limit on house guests? Have you called your insurance agent? Usually they limit or exclude theft coverage when you are renting out part of your house. Do you have enough liability in case they have someone over who is injured? Does your house/appliances have any quirks that your new roomie will need to know? Pet Policy? Expectations for cleanliness? Chore division for common areas? Communication system in place for communicating if you are not home at the same time, or if problems crop up? Is the lease month to month?

Sorry that was a bit of a stream of consciousness with all the questions but they are all things I benefited from knowing ahead of time or had to learn the hard way.