Author Topic: rent strike  (Read 1234 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
rent strike
« on: March 27, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the rent strike coming on April 1?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rent+strike

Is it for real? Is it an April Fool's prank?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: rent strike
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
Boy would that suck for all of the small landlords.  I would imagine the large complexes could handle a month or two, but that wouldn’t be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »
I think it's just a fantasy by frustrated tenants, for the most part.

But for those that feel they have little to lose, they might take the risk and screw over their landlord. 

Oliver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:50:19 PM »
Many many people will not be able to pay rent by April 1, what with how long it takes to process unemployment claims when they're at levels 10 times higher than they've ever been before. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »
Wishful thinking I think.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 11:42:53 PM »
here in seattle, they now have a no evictions plan in place. good times for us landlords.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 06:24:26 AM »
I have already received about 25% of my rent payments for April 1st. So I am hopeful. Granted my tenants usually have reserves and a cosigner as a general rule.

I think most people realize you need to pay rent if you want to keep your stuff there. Most likely no landlord is going to evict right now because who are you going to find to replace them? With unemployment and stimulus I think most people (renters and landlords) should be able to ride out a few months.

YMMV

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 06:40:49 AM »
I have already received about 25% of my rent payments for April 1st. So I am hopeful. Granted my tenants usually have reserves and a cosigner as a general rule.

I think most people realize you need to pay rent if you want to keep your stuff there. Most likely no landlord is going to evict right now because who are you going to find to replace them? With unemployment and stimulus I think most people (renters and landlords) should be able to ride out a few months.

YMMV

My sense of this is the same.  Many of my tenants have not lost their jobs.  They are in essential services.  There are a few that struggle and are occasionally late.  They are more at risk, but eventually most will be back on track.

In the Phoenix area, you can still file for eviction.  If you win an eviction order, the constable may delay service for a couple of months.  There will be incentive for both sides to work something out in the interim.