Author Topic: Renovating a workshop  (Read 2470 times)

gentmach

• Bristles
Renovating a workshop
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
In the next year or so, I will have to renovate my workshop. I have a general idea of what I want but the sticking point is the walls. Should I have panelling or something else.

I plan on using machine tools, building a electronics and painting in the space if that helps.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Renovating a workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »
I like hanging up pegboards. They're customizable with every kind of hook you could want.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
I have pegboards. I was just curious about what should go over the studs before putting pegboard up.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 03:41:45 PM »
If it was me I'd use plywood.  More expensive than drywall but won't deteriorate as bad either.  Will support heavy tools.  I'd also paint the interior of the plywood with some kind of mold inhibitor.  Although maybe you don't have the high moisture of the SouthEast.

I'd say this would all depend on your budget really.  I've seen cheap plywood on Craigslist by the way.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
Pegboard painted with semi-gloss white paint.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
Do NOT put pegboard on your walls with nothing behind it, unless you want to burn the place down.

I weld and do car restoration work in my shop, and did the following:

-Insulated the walls with a foil faced fiberglass insulation I got 2nd hand.
-put up 5 ply, 1/2" plywood, and screwed it to the studs. I left a 1/8" gap between each panel, that I caulked. I also caulked to the concrete.
-Painted it white.

where the chop saw sprays sparks, I put up some stainless sheet I got a good deal on.

Where I wanted pegboard, I put up 1x2 stringers are attached the pegboard to it, over the plywood. This way, there's no dusty nook where a spark can go and fester.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
I like hanging up pegboards. They're customizable with every kind of hook you could want.

DH hates peg boards in his shop because hundreds of giant, hairy, jumping spiders (according to him) hide behind them.  LOL.

In industrial shop walls, we specify that plywood up to 6 ft high needs to go around the perimeter -- for supporting heavy tools and easy of installing shelves.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
My shop has white metal walls which look nice, are fire resistant, reflect light, and are easy to hose down or clean.
Only down side is that the metal interior makes sound bounce around, so noisy.   I use free standing shelves, so hanging things on wall really hasn't been a problem.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
3/8" or 1/2" plywood?

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
   Hang LED lights, they are the bomb and will make it nice and bright to see your work.  I have 6 of the 8ft V shaped LED lights in my garage and they are the bomb! Got them off CL for 175 and they rock!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!