Author Topic: Rely on a home warranty to fix AC?  (Read 1177 times)

thorbjorn88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rely on a home warranty to fix AC?
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »
I'm in the process of buying a duplex to live in and rent. The inspection showed that one AC unit wasn't working and is 17 years old, the other is working but is 20 years old. We requested that the seller replace them but they said they would only have them fixed by a licensed contractor. In the initial offer the seller agreed to pay for a year of a home warranty for $950. This is something we could renew until the ACs go out.

The question is with the seller unwilling to replace the AC units is relying on the home warranty for this anticipated problem wise? Or is this something to back out of the deal over?

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Rely on a home warranty to fix AC?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »
Home warranties are a scam to placate home buyers.  You may get some benefit wiping your a$$ with the warranty paper and that's about it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
AC units cost what, $300 for a big one, less for smaller ones?  I bought an LG 8,000 BTU unit for $200 two months back.  I would not rely on a home warranty to replace something that cheap.

EDIT: Wait, shit.  If you're talking about central AC units, I'm way off-base here.

thorbjorn88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »
Home warranties are a scam to placate home buyers.  You may get some benefit wiping your a$$ with the warranty paper and that's about it.

Yeah I've been doing some research and I think you're right about that.