Author Topic: Background & Credit Checks for Tenants w/out Email/Computer Access?  (Read 3046 times)

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
I'm asking our MMM community on behalf of friends who own a few rental properties (six units total), primarily leased to lower income folks. Unbelievably, they've never run background or credit checks on their renters and I've encouraged them to consider this option. Overall they've been pretty fortunate but have had a few real nightmare tentants over the years. Here's the dilemma - in many cases their lower income prospective renters do not have checking accounts (pay cash or money order) or their own computer/email address, and every online service for tenant checks require a tenant's email address.

Can anyone recommend a means by which my friends can conduct background/credit check with their applicants that doesn't require an email exchange with the tenant? They have application forms that include "consent for credit check" but where to send these forms for the service?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations to ensure my friends don't end up with dead beat tenants!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Background & Credit Checks for Tenants w/out Email/Computer Access?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:45 AM »
Speaking as a landlord, I have used online ones before.  mysmartmove.com is one in particular, but it did require their email address, like you said.

Here's another one I've run across: http://www.rentingauthority.com/credit_report/

I don't believe it requires a tenant email address (just one for the landlord, for their login).  I haven't used it, so I can't vouch for it, but it looks legit.

If they use it, LMK how it works out.

Also: never run credit or background checks?  Yikes!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dollar D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
The service we use (National Tenant Network) doesn't require an email address, to my knowledge. At least I don't remember it requiring one.
I think it requires a 1-time fax of your application so they can verify that you have the proper consent form. After that, you can run as many reports as you like.

Your friends are lucky they still have their shirts! Bad tenants can make your life a nightmare!

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Also: never run credit or background checks?  Yikes!  :)
Your friends are lucky they still have their shirts! Bad tenants can make your life a nightmare!
Seriously, it blew my mind when they told me this. The owners aren't worldly/experienced or technically proficient people, so things like that aren't on their radar - well, until now! I'll check into your ideas, see how it works out and report back.

Thanks much!