Author Topic: Real Estate related jobs other than agent  (Read 895 times)

alex753

• Stubble
Real Estate related jobs other than agent
« on: May 07, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
Any Mustacheians  knowledgeable about real estate related jobs other than agent that would be practical for a midlife career changer? I recently lost my job in aviation maintenance, and do not want to go back to that physical and mental environment if I can help it.

I have a BA Econ 2008 (not recent grad) but no professional experience using it on my resume.  Could that help me with entry level real estate jobs like Residential or Commercial Real estate appraisal, Property Management, or any other real estate administration jobs? 

If it matters I want to move back to the SoCal area San Diego to South OC like Irvine and so would be looking around those areas. I have a substantial emergency fund so could take entry level low paying jobs if necessary to start out.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:45:40 AM by alex753 »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Real Estate related jobs other than agent
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
The two that come to mind are staging and photography/videography.  Both require a set of niche skills, and work best when you can become the “go-to guy/gal’ for a set of realtors to hire.

Staging requires an eye for decorating spaces to be very appealing to a wide-variety of potential buyers while not spending much money and yet have the result not look cheap.  In reality it means a lot of grubby work... cleaning, painting, patching, moving sofas and end tables in and out of rooms.

Photography/videography likewise requires a lot of preparation and post-shoot editing. It’s a lot more than just pushing the shutter on a “nice” camera with a wide angle lens... you have to make the room look good, then come when the lighting is best and (often) carefully illuminate the room to be most appealing.  Biggest hurdle here is everyone thinks he/she is a photographer thee days, but few actually know what they are doing.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
Home inspections.

Something I have considered. The licencing is not too difficult or expensive. And I just like looking at houses.

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 04:57:51 PM »
You could be a property manager. This requires you to get a real estate license but you don't have to sell homes.

It takes a lot of organization and you have to work with people well. You are the go between for the landlord and the tenant. Also, if your mechanically inclined yo could handle and bill out for a lot of the smaller repair jobs.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »
The two that come to mind are staging and photography/videography.  Both require a set of niche skills, and work best when you can become the “go-to guy/gal’ for a set of realtors to hire.

Staging requires an eye for decorating spaces to be very appealing to a wide-variety of potential buyers while not spending much money and yet have the result not look cheap.  In reality it means a lot of grubby work... cleaning, painting, patching, moving sofas and end tables in and out of rooms.

I do  home staging as a side gig. As noted, it's no small amount of  work, and one does need  some basic design and project management skills. There's also somewhat of  an investment in accessories and furniture, though much  can  be rented. My area of California is  not mega high end, but in places  like  Southern California, it  can be highly profitable. Look  at  any real estate site: most listed properties have some  level of staging  at  all price points. It's absolutely about  building  relationships  and trust with Realtors, and being able to juggle multiple properties.

Another option is to be an assistant for a high  producing Realtor. A license is needed but you're  not out hustling sales. This can be a good niche  for someone who is good at administrative skills and can handle the myriad paperwork entailed to complete a sale. There's likely a  salary  involved  as well as a small commission for each successful  sale.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »
Wholesaler.

Repairman / Handyman

Hard Money Lender

Home Inspector

Any Tradesman that does work at personal residences or commercial real estate

Appraiser

Mortgage Lender

Mortgage Underwriter

alex753

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »

I do  home staging as a side gig. As noted, it's no small amount of  work, and one does need  some basic design and project management skills. There's also somewhat of  an investment in accessories and furniture, though much  can  be rented. My area of California is  not mega high end, but in places  like  Southern California, it  can be highly profitable. Look  at  any real estate site: most listed properties have some  level of staging  at  all price points. It's absolutely about  building  relationships  and trust with Realtors, and being able to juggle multiple properties.

Another option is to be an assistant for a high  producing Realtor. A license is needed but you'ref not out hustling sales. This can be a good niche  for someone who is good at administrative skills and can handle the myriad paperwork entailed to complete a sale. There's likely a  salary  involved  as well as a small commission for each successful  sale.

I'm not into photography at all, more analytical and organization minded type.  Staging could work but more the logistical side of it and not the creative side, however I do have a little idea about it so Ill keep it in mind.

Assistant to a high producing realtor does interest me so I'll keep that in mind while searching.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:47:16 PM by alex753 »

alex753

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 01:46:24 PM »
Home inspections.

Something I have considered. The licencing is not too difficult or expensive. And I just like looking at houses.

Thought about this before too. It somewhat interested me before when I met the semi retired inspector guy who inspected the cali condo I bought in May of 2011.

At the moment not my top choice because I'd really like to stay more administrative such as appraisals, property management, mortgage administration like underwriter, etc.

You could be a property manager. This requires you to get a real estate license but you don't have to sell homes.

It takes a lot of organization and you have to work with people well. You are the go between for the landlord and the tenant. Also, if your mechanically inclined yo could handle and bill out for a lot of the smaller repair jobs.

This interests me I'll add it to my list.

Wholesaler.

Repairman / Handyman

Hard Money Lender

Home Inspector

Any Tradesman that does work at personal residences or commercial real estate

Appraiser

Mortgage Lender

Mortgage Underwriter

Trades don't really interest me other than managing them like construction management or related.  I'm thinking more of the administrative jobs you mention.  Underwriting and lending does interest me.

The trick is finding an entry level job.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!