Author Topic: questions I should ask a potential property manager  (Read 1819 times)

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
questions I should ask a potential property manager
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
Here's the situation. I need a property manager for a few potential sfh nearby, low income. I'm meeting with a local guy who is managing his own portfolio,  but it hasnt reached critical mass, he still has a part-time day job.

I'm looking to explore him taking on pm for a few properties in the same area as his. Sounds like a win win, as he's a generally competent, honest guy.

So, any advice, suggestions? Any questions I should ask him? Typical pm deal structures for low income?

any help appreciated!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: questions I should ask a potential property manager
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:43 AM »
My questions are probably too low in content for you but here were the things I asked my property manager 10 years ago when I was looking for one:

How do you find good tenants that won't destroy the place and will pay the rent faithfully?  (answer was mostly about credit reports and interviewing previous landlords...)
What do you do when they make fail to make a payment?  (answer was to immediately begin eviction process...  have watched this play out a few times, but never more than a month or so.  As soon as sheriff delivers the notice the tenant would always make payment)

Love my property manager.  We had one tenant that was always late with payment with some excuse or another.  So when renewal came around we raised the rent to force out that tenant and bring in a new one.  Nice way to move them along...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
If you do a search you'll find a few previous threads discussing this.  Here's one example: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/selecting-a-rental-management-company/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
Deal in progress,  will let you know once its all done and dusted! ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »
Deal in progress,  will let you know once its all done and dusted! ;-)

Cool, looking forward to hearing about it!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!