Author Topic: Quandary - low income, some NW, co-mortgage, wanting to invest.  (Read 843 times)

anonymouscow

• Stubble
Without going into too many details, I am a co-borrower on a mortgage, we owe about 80K on 140K, it's 15 years at 3.0%, we've been paying 300.00 extra  a month, it will still be 5+ years to pay it off.

I can't get a loan for an investment property because they only look at my income vs dept ratio. Considering my current income, current mortgage, projected investment mortgage, it's 78% DTI ratio.

I could take my cash account (20K), liquidate my Roth (60K), buy an investment property. Or, I could try and get the current mortgage paid off, maybe throw 30k at it, maybe she can pay 50k.

So, it's either take cash out of the Roth to buy a rental full cash, or take cash out of the Roth to pay off the mortgage.

valsecito

• Stubble
Re: Quandary - low income, some NW, co-mortgage, wanting to invest.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
So, it's either take cash out of the Roth to buy a rental full cash, or take cash out of the Roth to pay off the mortgage.
0r do the legwork of finding an excellent property investment opportunity, coordinating and/or doing any necessary reno work, managing it. Have an investor finance the down payment. Split ownership and cash flow.