Author Topic: Property Management as an entry into RE Investing/Landlord biz?  (Read 1458 times)

coldcarryouts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I was born under a bad sign.
Property Management as an entry into RE Investing/Landlord biz?
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »
Tell me if I'm doing this wrong:

A friend and I have spoken on multiple occasions about getting into residential rentals. We've both worked as resident managers in years past, so we have some exposure to the kinds of problems we'd face in the maintenance and interpersonal realms of the business.

A third friend contacted us out of the blue, wondering if we'd be willing to manage her house after she moves out of state later this year. For whatever reasons, she's interested in holding on to it and renting it out, but will be on the other side of the country.

So we're thinking this could be a nice introduction to residential real estate without having to worry about the ownership angle. We're not looking to get rich off this one house, but give us practical experience in advertising, marketing, managing a maintenance budget, dealing with tenants, etc.

Is this a bad idea? A good opportunity? Am I asking to get my ass handed to me? Our idea was to start with this on the side, grow into other opportunities as we find them, and ultimately start purchasing our own properties 3-5 years down the road. It's my intention to transition out of my desk job into managing residential rentals as my post-retirement career.

If you'd like to see numbers, I can share some. Just ask.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Property Management as an entry into RE Investing/Landlord biz?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
In many states you need to be licenced.

Based on the location under your name, Wisconsin, it looks like you will need to be a broker or working under a broker:
http://www.allpropertymanagement.com/propertylaw/property-management-law-in-wisconsin.html

Consult your lawyer, of course, don't trust random internet websites.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!