Author Topic: Please tell me not to build a garage.  (Read 2025 times)

Healthie

• Stubble
Please tell me not to build a garage.
« on: December 02, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
I live in Canada, I love woodworking, it’s hard to accommodate where I live. I got a quote for a 16x20 garage for 26k. The price is good but we might only be here for a few years. I’d need to take out a small loan and I could pay it off in a year. Everything I’ve read says a garage doesn’t give you the return on investment.

Please tell me not to build a garage.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Please tell me not to build a garage.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:45:37 PM »
Don't build a garage. This is an opportunity to fine tune your hand tool abilities. Do you have a basement? I have a workbench and a 14" bandsaw in my basement. And a router table I basically never use.

I always scoffed at the hand tool crowd until I read anarchist's tool chest. Opened my mind to the upside.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 12:46:08 AM »
What about building the garage yourself? Pay for a pro to build the foundation. Then frame it and side it and roof it yourself. You’ll save a ton of money, build some skills, and you’ll still get your garage. Just go bigger than 16 x 20.  Get the length up above 25’ to make it useful for all vehicles.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 04:17:16 AM »
Garages don't have good ROI. That's especially true if you'll only be living there for a couple of years and won't be able to enjoy it for very long.

Is it possible to rent workshop space for less than $26k?

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 07:31:37 AM »
you should not build a 16x20 garage.

26x30 garage? That is a different conversation.

I recently built a 16x24, and I love it, but I wish I could have gone bigger.  The marginal costs for increasing size are a great value honestly. I dont know your living situation or finances. However there is more to life then saving a few bucks.

We did a garage and a stamped patio, that was ~30k with me doing LOTS of the work and I would say overall it was definitely worth it. 26k feels pretty reasonable honestly.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 07:49:08 AM »
My dad has a farm, and occasionally needs additional space for storing stuff/working in.  He has erected several tent like structures to do this . . . they've got some sort of metal tubular frame and then a heavy duty canvas that wraps overtop.  With a space heater, it's warm enough to work in during the winter.  Doing something like this would get you the space you need to work and has to be a lot cheaper than building a permanent garage, probably under a grand.  And it would be portable for you to take with you when you leave your current place.  Might be worth checking out.

They look something like this:

Although the ones that dad uses have a regular sized side door so you don't have to open a giant flap every time you want to come in/out.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
My dad has a farm, and occasionally needs additional space for storing stuff/working in.  He has erected several tent like structures to do this . . . they've got some sort of metal tubular frame and then a heavy duty canvas that wraps overtop.  With a space heater, it's warm enough to work in during the winter.  Doing something like this would get you the space you need to work and has to be a lot cheaper than building a permanent garage, probably under a grand.  And it would be portable for you to take with you when you leave your current place.  Might be worth checking out.

Although the ones that dad uses have a regular sized side door so you don't have to open a giant flap every time you want to come in/out.

At first I thought this idea was terrible but given how many tools are cordless these days that could get you about 80% of a real woodshop.

Table saw, miter saw, router, track saw, jig saw, biscuit joiner, etc.

Granted, the mainstays in a bonafide shop are the jointer and planer but if you use a cordless power planer to flatten one side you can use a lunchbox planer to take care of the rest. That's just about the only tool you'd need to plug in.

If I were OP I'd be grabbing one of these janky ass tents and sending a similar amount of money to DeWalt. I say Dewalt because they are the best platform for a scenario like this - Makita lacks the cordless table saw though it has a biscuit joiner. I prefer Makita and Milwaukee and Bosch over Dewalt but Dewalt isn't bad and covers your needs really well.

Then you can build a Ron Paulk style workbench or something like that and you're off to the races and you can take it all with you if you need to leave.

I'd also give Dewalt's Tstaks high marks for relatively affordable modularity (compared to festool/tanos). Get the tstak dolly and you could easily bring your more valuable and easily theftable tools inside at night to keep them secure.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 08:46:05 AM »
One thing to consider is climate - a shed like ^ will not be very fun if you live in an area where it's super cold 6 months a year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
One thing to consider is climate - a shed like ^ will not be very fun if you live in an area where it's super cold 6 months a year.

My dad works in his year round in Ottawa.  You'll need a space heater, and it won't be cozy exactly . . . but it's warm enough.

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 11:44:21 AM »
If you're really moving in a "couple years," then definitely don't do it. But almost any amount of money is worth it to me to have a good workshop. So at some point you should prioritize it and get one, either by building it or buying a place that already has a garage.

Healthie

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »
I spoke to an appraiser who said ROI on a garage is about 1/2 of what you put into it. He also said as a rental (my plan for this place) you can get about $150-200/mo more for rent - so really, it'll pay for itself in 10 years.

I also agree, a good workshop is a very good investment. I'd like to start doing some side hustles building things, which would earn me a bit more cash. Also, I could move all my tools out of the basement bedrooms and possibly rent them out as airB&B rooms.

It's very easy to start justifying things we want ;).

Also - my friend is saying the garage will increase the appraisal of the house; but don't you want your property value to stay low to pay less taxes, and when you go to sell (which is not my plan); you base the pricing on similar houses in the market, not on the appraisal?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:30:43 PM by Healthie »

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 02:16:48 PM »
There's also the carport option.  Many companies will put up a small building that size for ~5k, that doesn't include the slab and would be uninsulated but would be weatherproof.  It also doesn't have to be permanent.  A 16x20 kit with a window, door, and overhead door is 4,700 from menards, though you'd have to assemble it yourself.

https://midwest.menards.com/postframe-web/redirect.do#/tab/2/1/4/18635/3316

$26k for foundation, and an all-insulated space with electricity doesn't seem out of line if that's what you really want, but there are cheaper options to get started.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
I agree with the post above about building it yourself.  Go do that. 

I want another garage or a barn or a workshop space =(

No room =(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »

Do you people not do ‘winter garages’ in Ontario like everyone does in Quebec? 
Huh.