Author Topic: Other Real Estate Investments?  (Read 1659 times)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Other Real Estate Investments?
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:49:12 AM »
So the common real estate investment seems to be rental homes or apartments.
Wondering who else gets into other types of real estate investments; commercial building rental, mini warehouses, spec buildings, farm ground, etc.

Getting near FIRE with some capitol that needs to be put to work, and have just never been all that crazy about the stock market.
I feel like real estate gives me a bit more control in the outcome, plus you can't lose it all and there is always something concrete there to sell.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Other Real Estate Investments?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »
If I had infinite time I would try to find gems on nearby counties' repository lists. Startup cost of like $2000 and excellent gains if you can find a way to make the parcel work.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:20:26 AM »
REITS?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
If I had infinite time I would try to find gems on nearby counties' repository lists. Startup cost of like $2000 and excellent gains if you can find a way to make the parcel work

Put this in English for those of us that haven't got a clue what you are talking about please.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
Sorry. Other states may have different terms. In Pennsylvania counties have a process to go through when no property taxes are paid on a parcel of land. Eventually it ends up on the Repository List, where you can buy it for a small price. Here's a link to my county's list, as an example. Most of these are obviously total garbage. But some are just landlocked by other parcels. Conceivably one could seek out surrounding landowners, find somebody willing to grant access, etc.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »
OK, these are tax sales and sheriff sales in Indiana.
I've actually purchased one such property next door to get rid of an eyesore.   

It's a bidding process here, price will be based upon whatever someone wants to pay for it.
Have to do your due diligence to make sure no liens on the property, etc. that you will become responsible for.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!