Author Topic: Not worthwhile getting cedar shakes painted b/c it costs too much?  (Read 1635 times)

cooking

• Stubble

I'm buying a house to fix and flip which is sided with natural cedar shakes.  Here in NJ's damp-ish climate, shakes take on a kind of black, unappealing look after years of exposure to the weather.  Also, since this is a short sale, the house condition is not great and some of the shakes on the rear of the house are missing.

My first thought was to get the shake siding painted in order to make it look cleaner and blend in the new shakes that will need to be replaced in the rear.  However, I've heard from a source who has been through this process on his own flips that it has ended up costing nearly the same $ to paint cedar shakes as re-siding the house.  I guess this is b/c of the texture in the cedar and the amount of effort (and hours of labor) needed to paint it.  So why paint when you could get it re-sided for almost the same $.  But either way, an expensive undertaking, and a cost I'd rather reduce if possible.

Does anybody out there have any experience with getting this type of siding painted?  Or does anyone have any clever ideas on how to make the house look presentable for resale without having it re-sided (or spending the same amt. just to get it painted)?

Thanks for any advice offered.

cooking

• Stubble
Re: Not worthwhile getting cedar shakes painted b/c it costs too much?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
Sorry I mistakenly posted again, thought it didn't happen before.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
I have a hard time believing that painting costs as much as a tear off of the shakes and a reinstall.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »
What about staining with a dark stain?

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
Or get a torch and go the shou sugi ban route.  Not sure if you can do this to existing siding though.  Looks sweet, and you wouldn't have to be all that thorough since some of the siding is already turning black.  I wouldn't do this if the siding is treated.

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
I've had shakes painted.  It wasn't that much -- but it doesn't last as long as you might like.  All the nooks and crannies make it hard to cover everything.

You might want to power wash them -- that makes them a lot brighter!