Author Topic: Northern California Realtor - Focused on Investment  (Read 4656 times)

dinkhelpneeded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Silicon Valley RE-FIRE
Northern California Realtor - Focused on Investment
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a sharp, smart Realtor in northern california (SF bay area) who can find me investment properties. I am primarily interested in buying for investment purposes 1. rental income, duplex, multi family units etc. 2. likely future appreciation i.e upcoming school districts etc.

I understand that the nor cal market isnt going to offer returns like other rental markets, but I am looking for someone who can find me a diamond in the rough. In the mean time I am reading up on bigger pockets and forums to understand the ins and outs and contemplating becoming an realtor myself (thats a big maybe). I am also charting/watching the price patterns in these areas, but would love to brain storm with someone in nor cal who has been doing this longer than I have.

I am willing to explore the option of long-distance landlording in TX or GA if someone can recommend a trust worthy realtor.

Thanks!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Northern California Realtor - Focused on Investment
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:57:48 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a sharp, smart Realtor in northern california (SF bay area) who can find me investment properties. I am primarily interested in buying for investment purposes 1. rental income, duplex, multi family units etc. 2. likely future appreciation i.e upcoming school districts etc.

I understand that the nor cal market isnt going to offer returns like other rental markets, but I am looking for someone who can find me a diamond in the rough. In the mean time I am reading up on bigger pockets and forums to understand the ins and outs and contemplating becoming an realtor myself (thats a big maybe). I am also charting/watching the price patterns in these areas, but would love to brain storm with someone in nor cal who has been doing this longer than I have.

I am willing to explore the option of long-distance landlording in TX or GA if someone can recommend a trust worthy realtor.

Thanks!

No recommendations, but I'm guessing a bad part of Oakland, Richmond, or Vallejo might be your best options.  I've seen crazy cheap duplexes and four-plexes in Oakland, but of course you would never want to live in that particular neighborhood.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:50:07 AM »
Patti Jo Brennan is one of the best buyer's agents in the Bay Area.  She works more in single family but I have no doubt she will help you find whatever is available in investments properties while providing full commentary on every aspect of the neighborhood.  I've never seen an agent go as far as she did to make sure a buyer was getting the right place, properly inspected, at the right price.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patti-Jo-Brennan/336814879713795

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:09:08 AM »
A buyer's agent that works with investors is a different animal than one that works with owner-occupants.  Usually they are investors themselves or have worked with a lot of investors for a long time.  They know how to do the numbers on an investment property correctly.  Referrals from successful local investors are your best bet. 

Remember, everyone is looking for that diamond in the rough.  Once it hits the MLS, it will be bid up to full market value by the hundreds of folks out there with ready cash and the same idea.

If you follow the suggestion to buy in warzones, well, good luck with that. 

dinkhelpneeded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Silicon Valley RE-FIRE
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
A buyer's agent that works with investors is a different animal than one that works with owner-occupants.  Usually they are investors themselves or have worked with a lot of investors for a long time.  They know how to do the numbers on an investment property correctly.  Referrals from successful local investors are your best bet. 

This is why the Realtors thus far don't make the cut. I really need someone who is focused on the investment angle ONLY. I dont care for some inane kitchen fixture that is supposed to impress me.

Patti Jo Brennan is one of the best buyer's agents in the Bay Area.  She works more in single family but I have no doubt she will help you find whatever is available in investments properties while providing full commentary on every aspect of the neighborhood.  I've never seen an agent go as far as she did to make sure a buyer was getting the right place, properly inspected, at the right price.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patti-Jo-Brennan/336814879713795

Will look into talking with Patti. Thanks!

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
I am in the Bay Area and work with a pretty sharp guy.  You can contact me if you would like and I can forward the information?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
I am in the Bay Area and work with a pretty sharp guy.  You can contact me if you would like and I can forward the information?

My problem with really sharp realtors is that if something is a really good deal they would just buy it themselves. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
My other thought is that the sharp Realtors probably hear from lots of wanna-bes.

I'd focus on getting my act completely together before I started contacting realtors. Finish your homework and be crystal clear on your goals and limits before you wade into the water. A Realtor's time is money and if they have a hot prospect, they want to show it to someone they know is going to close the deal, not waste their time. If you dither and the sale goes to someone else, your Realtor is going to be less inclined to look under any more rocks for your killer property.

nodomo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 03:54:41 AM »
Totally agree with Diane's comments.

I have a recommendation for a NorCal broker who only deals with investment properties.  He also owns 5 investment properties including residential income and office commercial.  Contact me if you are still interested.

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

My problem with really sharp realtors is that if something is a really good deal they would just buy it themselves.

Sharp as in knows the Bay really well and grew up here.  Can help on where to focus and what areas might be best for an investment of this type. 

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
My other thought is that the sharp Realtors probably hear from lots of wanna-bes.

I'd focus on getting my act completely together before I started contacting realtors. Finish your homework and be crystal clear on your goals and limits before you wade into the water. A Realtor's time is money and if they have a hot prospect, they want to show it to someone they know is going to close the deal, not waste their time. If you dither and the sale goes to someone else, your Realtor is going to be less inclined to look under any more rocks for your killer property.

Yes, a few friends in real estate of mine deal with this all the time.  People thinking they are way more important than they think and not in any position to buy.  From what I can see the bay area moves pretty quick and people are stepping up fast on deals just to be in the market.  Not that this is the case, but good point on having all of your homework and goals spelled out.