Author Topic: Newbie question for HELOC  (Read 1775 times)

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
Newbie question for HELOC
« on: March 07, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »
I know the gist of a HELOC but I can't seems to find an answer to this.
This bank who is also my mortgage lender is now offering a HELOC of 3.25%.
https://www.thirdfederal.com/
My mortgage is currently @ 3.19% ARM that's has 3 years left before it adjust.

So lets say i get approved for a $100k HELOC at the current 3.24 rate.
If I decided to withdraw the entire $100k right away, am I fixed with that 3.24 rate for the duration of that $100k or does the rate fluctuate as long as I have the original $100k balance.
Thank You

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Newbie question for HELOC
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »
I know the gist of a HELOC but I can't seems to find an answer to this.
This bank who is also my mortgage lender is now offering a HELOC of 3.25%.
https://www.thirdfederal.com/
My mortgage is currently @ 3.19% ARM that's has 3 years left before it adjust.

So lets say i get approved for a $100k HELOC at the current 3.24 rate.
If I decided to withdraw the entire $100k right away, am I fixed with that 3.24 rate for the duration of that $100k or does the rate fluctuate as long as I have the original $100k balance.
Thank You
You'll have to check with your lender.  Terms and conditions vary.     And read the document before you sign it to make sure it agrees with what you were told -- because sometimes they don't.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »
You'll have to check with your lender.  Terms and conditions vary.     And read the document before you sign it to make sure it agrees with what you were told -- because sometimes they don't.

+1 

My HELOC is adjustable with prime and changes whether I currently have any money borrowed or not.  Also, make sure the rate you are looking at isn't an introductory offer.  Mine went up after 6 months (which was fine because they communicated it clearly). 

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 05:30:36 AM »
The asterisk on their Home Equity landing page says:

*Variable APR of Prime -.06%

But do read your contract directly.  My HELOC was variable for the period we could draw on it, then went to fixed when it went to the pay down phase.  (Which we never used)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:32:37 AM »

But do read your contract directly.  My HELOC was variable for the period we could draw on it, then went to fixed when it went to the pay down phase.  (Which we never used)
Notice that reeshau is in Ireland. If you're in the US, this is much less likely. As a rule, HELOCs are adjustable in some way.  Sword Guy is correct, there are lots of variables, which is why you must always do your due dilligence. This is another drawback of relying on a HELOC for an emergency fund.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »

Notice that reeshau is in Ireland. If you're in the US, this is much less likely. As a rule, HELOCs are adjustable in some way.  Sword Guy is correct, there are lots of variables, which is why you must always do your due dilligence. This is another drawback of relying on a HELOC for an emergency fund.

My HELOC, though, was in Michigan.