Author Topic: Neighbors developing lot on my street... concerns?  (Read 2392 times)

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Neighbors developing lot on my street... concerns?
« on: October 28, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »
Hi,

I live on a 1 block long dead end street.  There's been a 12,000 sqft empty lot on that street, with one house separating me at that lot. I just got a notice that the land owner wants to split it, and build 2 duplexes.

My immediate thought is that I wish I was building them. Portland rent prices are crazy right now!

My second though is, dammit, there goes my neighborhood!
I know that it likely won't be a problem, and I'm being a little bit NIMBY about it. I'm bordered on 2 sides by apartment complexes already, but there is a tall chainlink fence on their side, plus a wood one on my side, that keeps the tenants from being on my street much... haven't experienced much crime or anything like that. I'm even friends with a couple of them. It may be different if improperly screened tenants are residing on my street... suddenly it isn't a three block trip to swipe something from my back yard.

Secondly, is parking. The on-street parking is already crowded on this street, and adding 4 families is going to make it a disaster. I don't know if code requires off-street parking for a place like that, I don't think it specifically does. If not, is there anything I can do to ensure some is created?

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Re: Neighbors developing lot on my street... concerns?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
Somewhat related --- tiny home behind us on three acres was torn down in 2012 and people now building a 10,000 square foot monster. We have an acre ourselves but will miss the privacy. New folks even tore down a wooden fence the previous owners have so we get to see their house/yard, clown vehicles.

You can never assume your quiet cul-de-sac or yard will stay that way forever.

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
Hi,

I live on a 1 block long dead end street.  There's been a 12,000 sqft empty lot on that street, with one house separating me at that lot. I just got a notice that the land owner wants to split it, and build 2 duplexes.

My immediate thought is that I wish I was building them. Portland rent prices are crazy right now!

My second though is, dammit, there goes my neighborhood!
I know that it likely won't be a problem, and I'm being a little bit NIMBY about it. I'm bordered on 2 sides by apartment complexes already, but there is a tall chainlink fence on their side, plus a wood one on my side, that keeps the tenants from being on my street much... haven't experienced much crime or anything like that. I'm even friends with a couple of them. It may be different if improperly screened tenants are residing on my street... suddenly it isn't a three block trip to swipe something from my back yard.

Secondly, is parking. The on-street parking is already crowded on this street, and adding 4 families is going to make it a disaster. I don't know if code requires off-street parking for a place like that, I don't think it specifically does. If not, is there anything I can do to ensure some is created?

Participate in the rezoning meetings with the city and make sure they know your concerns about parking. If you can get the other neighbours to participate as well, even better. 

I'd also ask about the building process. In my neck of the woods, development means blasting the rocky, 10% grade lot to smithereens to make it flat. That can take a month and if the city allows big charges (aka big booms) then your property is at risk (think cracked footings, patios and anything else that's damaged by vibrations).

In our case, when the lot behind us gets developed we'll have to have a pre-blast and post-blast study done to quantify the damage (if any) caused to our house. Then we get to argue with the blasting company to get if fixed. Sound like fun?

Once all is said and done, your lot should be more valuable than it was before.

sammybiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
Multi-family development never helps values in a single family neighborhood but I doubt it will impact you as you already have apt complexes next door...might even help things using the SFH > duplex > fourplex > apartment  mentality.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »
Can you sell for a hefty gain and have them build 3 duplexes?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
Check with your city about parking ordinances if you're worried, and report it if there doesn't seem to be enough room to meet them.  There are very particular rules about how much off street parking is required for developments around here, I'd assume that this is pretty standard.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
Definitely talk to the city about the parking situation.  In my city the law is if you're building duplexes, apartments or condos you have to provide at least one off-street parking spot per unit, and a lot of cities have similar laws.