Author Topic: My first rental is ready for tenants... contract info needed!  (Read 2164 times)

MaxRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I bought a foreclosure back in April and I have rehabbed it to be my first rental house. It's a 1300 sq ft house, 4 bedroom 2 bath. Should rent easily for $650 and I am trying to attract some quality 'mid-grade' tenants. Now that the work is done on the house it's time to rent. First I need a contract and I'm not sure if I should get one from my attorney (over priced on everything) or look elsewhere. Anyone know a good source for a solid contract? What are things you have found that should be included to avoid trouble in the future?

Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to this new income opportunity!

DROPOUT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: My first rental is ready for tenants... contract info needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »
Head over to BiggerPockets.com

They have lots of great resources including forms, documents, etc ... I use them, and had my attorney revise a couple of them prior to me using.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:59:16 AM »
I recommend looking over the book, "Landlording: A Handy manual for Scrupulous Landlords and Landladies Who Do It Themselves" by Leigh Robinson.  Check it out from your local library.  It's printed on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, and has lots of forms, contracts, etc.  that you can photocopy right out of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Landlording-Handymanual-Scrupulous-Landladies-Themselves/dp/0932956335/

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 06:58:32 AM »
Mrlandlord.com

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
Go to my blog and download what I use.  They are for MN, but are not necessarily state specific.  They are free at least.  90% of what I use is there.

MOD NOTE: Link removed. PM poster or go to link in their sig if you are interested.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:23:01 AM by arebelspy »

MaxRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:32 AM »
Head over to BiggerPockets.com

They have lots of great resources including forms, documents, etc ... I use them, and had my attorney revise a couple of them prior to me using.

Thanks, lots of great info there. Seems like a very commercialized site but the "how to rent your house" article is great. I like their rental application.

I recommend looking over the book, "Landlording: A Handy manual for Scrupulous Landlords and Landladies Who Do It Themselves" by Leigh Robinson.  Check it out from your local library.  It's printed on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, and has lots of forms, contracts, etc.  that you can photocopy right out of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Landlording-Handymanual-Scrupulous-Landladies-Themselves/dp/0932956335/

Will check it out, thanks!

Mrlandlord.com

Thanks looks like a good source for info.

Go to my blog and download what I use.  They are for MN, but are not necessarily state specific.  They are free at least.  90% of what I use is there.

Thanks got the link before it was deleted. I like your rental contract as it seems to really cover everything. I have also enjoyed your posts in other topics on what materials you us in your rental houses. I'll read your blog more and see what you're up to.

Thanks everyone for the input. If you have any tips on things you wish you knew when you first started... I'm listening!

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
If anyone needs a Texas lease, let me know and I can give you what I use.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!