Author Topic: mrlandlord.com // helpful service or scam // how to screen tenants?  (Read 12060 times)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
Veteran landlords, have you used this service?   http://www.mrlandlord.com/7/index.html

The fee for a tenant credit/ criminal/ eviction check is $24.95 which seems reasonable.  In VA, the state police will do a criminal check but the charge is $15. I wonder if this website is as reliable/ thorough in its data.

What resources can you recommend for screening tenants?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: mrlandlord.com // helpful service or scam // how to screen tenants?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
Ongoing discussion here of some tenant screening options: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/tenant-screening/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

monicafaye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
I use The Landlord Protection Agency.  Even if you don't want a membership you can get helpful information from their website, especially the Q&A Forum.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache

D.williams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »
I have never used MrLandlord before, but I do use http://myrental.com/ for my tenant screening services. They might be a little more expensive then some, but I have used them in the past with no issues so I don't have a problem paying a little extra to give me so added peace of mind. Very good service.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
I use - https://www.mysmartmove.com/

It's $30 per person but I like it since the tenant/applicant puts in their credit/debit card (so I don't have to collect the fee), the reports are thorough and come out immediately after the applicant puts in their data.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:02:21 AM »
I use - https://www.mysmartmove.com/

It's $30 per person but I like it since the tenant/applicant puts in their credit/debit card (so I don't have to collect the fee), the reports are thorough and come out immediately after the applicant puts in their data.

FYI, as mentioned in the thread linked above:
It's slightly cheaper if you use biggerpockets.mysmartmove.com because of a partnership they have, but I don't know what information they share with bigger pockets.

It makes it $25 instead of $30.

Biggest downside is it doesn't work for tenants who don't have an email address.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
Serious question: would you be at all concerned to rent to someone who doesn't have an email address?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
Serious question: would you be at all concerned to rent to someone who doesn't have an email address?

No.  If they have a stable job and can show proof of income, previous rental history checks out, and credit is good, why would you care if they don't have an email address?

That's not a factor by which I screen tenants.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
Because it seems like a lot of the tools for managing tenants and properties are online, and every landlord I've had for the past five years I've communicated with via email and text. I wouldn't expect it to be a factor by which anyone screens, but I was curious whether it would be notable.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »
Because it seems like a lot of the tools for managing tenants and properties are online, and every landlord I've had for the past five years I've communicated with via email and text. I wouldn't expect it to be a factor by which anyone screens, but I was curious whether it would be notable.

Yeah, all my tenants text.  Email is convenient (and 99% of them have it), but not necessary.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 04:22:58 PM »
There are probably a lot of elderly, recently widowed folks out there wanting to downsize who don't have an email address because their spouse used to handle "that internet thingy". It would be silly to exclude them.

Now someone in their 30s without email would be a little suspicious.

purplish

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »
When I first was going to rent out my rental place, I looked into that... honestly, though it's more expensive, I would definitely recommend NOT doing it yourself, and getting a broker instead.  Yes I know everyone here is big on doing things yourself, but seriously it was VERY worth it.  I find it's more worth it to spend more at the beginning to get a high quality tenant, rather than skimp on it, get someone shitty, and then have to worry about negative stuff happening, late/no rent, and evictions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!