Author Topic: Mr Cooper (used to be Nationstar) has not paid my property taxes.  (Read 5202 times)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
I don't know if anyone is familiar with these assclowns, but check out the Yelp reviews - https://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-cooper-dallas?sort_by=date_desc

My mortgage was sold to this company a few months ago, and yesterday I get a letter from my town saying that property taxes haven't been paid. I faxed the bill to Mr Pooper, but I'm curious as to whether there's anything I should be doing to protect myself legally.

From reading the reviews, it's hard to tell whether this is just one of the most incompetent companies on earth, or they are actually screwing things up on purpose to make money from extra fees and foreclosures.

I'm thinking about filing a BBB complaint, and maybe filing a complaint with the relevant Texas government agency - https://www.sml.texas.gov/ConsumerInformation/tdsml_consumer_complaints.html

What do you guys think? File complaints to cover my bases, or wait and see if they pay my taxes (and cover the late fees)?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mr Cooper (used to be Nationstar) has not paid my property taxes.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
Call them.  Tell them you received a delinquent notice.  The payment may have gotten lost during the transfer from the old servicer to Mr. Cooper.  Your statements from both servicers should show the escrow accounting.  There should have been a servicing transfer notice with about 7 pages of difficult to follow analysis.  Whoever owned the servicing rights when the taxes were due is responsible, but the servicers need to work this out between them.

Be firm in your conversation.  The bill is delinquent and it is the servicer's responsibility to pay the bill and any interest and penalties. Period.  It needs to be paid now, and to whom do I send the certified letter with the delinquency notice.  Document all contact.

Worst case, you will have to pay the taxes yourself and get a refund. 

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Nationstar sucked so bad. I'm really glad we got rid of them when we refinanced. Good luck!

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
They are not that bad, it's probably a coincidence of the payment due and assuming the mortgage too close to each other. They do this with my insurance every year, and my insurance sends me letters that they are going to stop the coverage. They will straighten themselves up eventually. I'm with them for 5 years now, they are not that bad, or maybe my expectations are too low. At lease they have never hanged up on me yet (Walmart reps had, not relevant to mortgages, but still), and some of their reps are pretty good.

The most annoying thing is that they don't post on credit bureaus for 4-5 months sometimes and it looks like I could be defaulting, which is a non-sense, I pay a month ahead always (just in case I get in some kind of a pickle). I tried to fight that, but gave up.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
Just to clarify, they always paid my insurance by the due date, it's just my insurance reps too anxious. They are pretty competent, they are the only mortgage company that had NEVER-EVER rounded up to their benefit. Their numbers are always the same as in my spread sheet (I give a lot of points to a mortgage company that does that). In comparison Wells Fargo was rounding up to 5 cents every 3-4 months to their benefit. Do you know how much it could add up from millions of mortgages over a course of 30 years?

I like to make extra payments and some companies get confused by that and round up wrong, a few cents, but it still counts, because they are never wrong to my benefit.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Mr. Cooper recently took over my mortgage too and I also received a notice from my town stating Mr. Cooper (seriously, this has to be the most ridiculous company name I've ever heard!) had not paid my property taxes. It took three calls and the email submission of the delinquent property tax notice to get the taxes paid. At first they tried to blame the error on my previous mortgage servicer, which was total b.s. I will be watching them like a hawk and if this happens a second time I will eliminate escrow and pay the taxes myself.

You can also submit a complaint here...https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
So far I've talked to two people via email, who both said they will 'escalate the issue to the tax department'. Just pay the damn bill already. You only do three things - 1) take my money, 2) pay the insurance once a year, and 3) pay the property taxes four times a year.

I keep faxing the bill to their tax department at least once a day, so maybe someone will get annoyed enough to pay it.

If we still had the old-style fax machines that transmitted as they read the paper, I'd do what I did to Sprint back in the '90s, and create a loop that fed the fax machine the same pages over and over until I hung up.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »
Whatever you do, keep written records. Record when you called and with whom and cc: yourself on all emails.

At this point, I'd send a certified return-receipt letter and give them a 10 day timeline. If they don't comply, start working down the list of agencies to complain to.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 05:15:46 AM »
Mr Cooper has a horrible, horrible reputation.

https://www.pr-inside.com/homeowners-files-suit-against-mortgage-company-mr--r4700575.htm

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2018/09/13/can-change-troubled-companys-name-troubles-dont-go-away

If I were you, I would act as though I expected them to lie, cheat, and steal and eventuall foreclose even though no payment has ever been missed. This means written letters that fit the form liked by the government (https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/how-do-i-dispute-an-error-request-information-about-my-mortgage-en-1855/), not phone calls.

Lisa94585

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 03:14:56 PM »
They are horrible and had millions of dollars in fines just in 2018 so now they are Nationstar dba Mr. Cooper. Just Google them! They bought my FHA loan in late October 2018. Paid my property tax, but caused my homeowner's insurance to expire on 7/8/19 (claimed paid of 7/2/19) but as of 7/13/19 still not received. After 10 days becomes lapsed and then cancelled 20 days later. If it is cancelled then they can do forced insurance which is super expensive and probably someone they are financially affiliated with. I called them three times in same day and got a bulk check number and no answer if has been cashed (regular mail with no tracking). Escrow Dept gave me a phone number for tracking number which ended up being alarm company.  Later was on a 3-way conversation with my homeowner's insurance company and they refused to talk to me and were extremely snotty. Supposedly they will be overnighting another check (BTW not showing on my account as disbursed), but I paid it myself and waiting to see if either of their checks ever get credited. If that happens and I am refunded money then I need to reimburse escrow account. In the meantime, I sent them a Notice of Error Letter via Certified Mail to CYA. Address for Notice of Error letter is:

Mr. Cooper
Attn: Customer Relations
PO Box 619098
Dallas, TX 75261-9741

You also can send a complaint to CFPB (Consmer Financial Protection Bureau).
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/#mortgage

For property taxes they all own refund policy! My taxing authority will return additional checks to sender, so I will be monitoring to see if Mr. Cooper pays it on due date (ADec 10 and April 10). If they don't, then I will pay it myself on due date by 5 p.m. to prevent 10% penalty and lien. Then I will have to do the same Notice of Error again and follow up with escrow to see if ever reimbursed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:26:24 PM by Lisa94585 »