Author Topic: move in fee...WHAT?  (Read 6080 times)

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
move in fee...WHAT?
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »
I have been looking through MLSs to find a new house or townhouse to rent and I noticed that some of these places charge a move in fee. WHAT THE HELL??? Yep a fee to move in! Oh and it's not like $50. One place charges $3000 another $3700!!! SERIOUSLY! You are going to charge me $3000 to move in your house and pay your mortgage. These people need a PUNCH IN THE FACE!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Re: move in fee...WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
Key cutting fees?  Is the rent really low?

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
Ugh. It was a growing trend when we left DC & now seems to be starting in Chicago as well. I'll give you a security deposit to keep for a year over any fee, even the $300 that seems common here. So frustrating. Lowest common denominator and all that; guess there are really that many people that can't get the security deposit together.

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
No the rent is not low! It's $1750 for a little townhouse. Granted it is in a DC/Baltimore suburb but still. Also judging from the MLS it doesn't replace the security deposit but is in addition. On the MLS it is says rent:1750 security deposit: 1850 Move in fee: 3700. Is the move in fee a charge if one can't pay a security deposit???

bUU

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »
I've heard of such fees charged by communities (condos, co-ops and HOAs) to account for the greater level of damage and disruption often inflicted on the community by renters moving in and moving out. I've never heard of homeowner, outside of one renting from within an HOA and passing along the charges imposed by the HOA, charging such incoming renters a fee.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:28:36 AM by bUU »

kt

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:00:39 AM »
i assume this is private landlords?

agency fees here can be mad, regularly hear tales of say £100+ holding fee (non-refundable), £60+ for references (also non-refundable), £100+ move-in fee, £100 check-out fee at the end and 4-6 weeks return deposit plus first month's rent in advance.
you could easily be looking at needing £1200+ to move into a pretty standard place.

then there's often the fight to get your deposit back at the end and some agents will try to get you to sign a new contract (for another £100+) every 6 to 12 months rather than letting you go onto a rolling contract (a legal right).

Crash87

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
some agents will try to get you to sign a new contract (for another £100+) every 6 to 12 months rather than letting you go onto a rolling contract (a legal right).

Ive run into that too. Always ask what happens after the lease is up. A key advantage of renting, for me,  is the ability to move easily after a year. Signing year long leases back to back puts a major damper on my ability to move for a new job.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »
Are you sure that it's a move-in fee in addition to security deposit & rent? Some ads, I've noticed, list the total amount required to move in (e.g. first + last + security, or first + security). With the numbers you listed, $1750 + $1850 + $100 some misc. fee = $3700. That would make a lot more sense to me.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
Yeah, it sounds like that's what it takes to move in... Rent + security deposit = move in fee.?

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »
Yeah, it sounds like that's what it takes to move in... Rent + security deposit = move in fee.?

No, usually it's a fee that they keep that replaces the security deposit. Landlords have argued to me that it's because it's a "huge hassle" to have to track & pay the interest on a security deposit (required in a lot of places) but it's really just them being cheap bastards in my opinion.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »

No, usually it's a fee that they keep that replaces the security deposit. Landlords have argued to me that it's because it's a "huge hassle" to have to track & pay the interest on a security deposit (required in a lot of places) but it's really just them being cheap bastards in my opinion.

Ok. I've never heard of such a thing. Sound like they aren't being cheap, just demanding perhaps. Easy solution... don't move in. :)

Numbers Man

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
Charging $3,000 plus to move into a rental on top of the security deposit is nuts. Take your business elsewhere.

sassy1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
I live in Chicago and experienced this as well.  A lot of condos require it now, to discourage renters and frequent moving of tenants.  They really want people to live there long term or be owners, not renters. 

I negotiated and had the home owner pay for the move in and out fees.  I would not have paid for it myself. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!