Author Topic: Modern Rancher Design Ideas  (Read 1854 times)

sailorlee15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Beautiful Crazy Happiness
Modern Rancher Design Ideas
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any good resources for modern rancher designs (Internet, book or other). I'm specifically interested in adapting the rectangular/bay window rancher into something more interesting and unique. Exterior designs mostly. I've done it once (picture below) but want something more interesting! Shed roof design? Timber frame gable? Interesting dormers? Metal roof and stone?

Thanks for any wisdom provided!
Lee

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
Re: Modern Rancher Design Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
This site has some useful tips...

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/

And I'm actually being serious. If you go through the series on everything wrong with McMansions, you can A) know what not to do, and B) actually gleam/determine design elements that work and fit.

BAMxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »
This site has some useful tips...

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/

And I'm actually being serious. If you go through the series on everything wrong with McMansions, you can A) know what not to do, and B) actually gleam/determine design elements that work and fit.

That site is hilarious. Great find

sailorlee15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Beautiful Crazy Happiness
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
That site is amazing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Love that site. I was just thinking it was time to get caught up over there. Thanks for the link love.

Off topic, I hate siding. Is it just inevitable in some parts of the country?

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:19 PM »
Interesting site.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any good resources for modern rancher designs (Internet, book or other). I'm specifically interested in adapting the rectangular/bay window rancher into something more interesting and unique. Exterior designs mostly. I've done it once (picture below) but want something more interesting! Shed roof design? Timber frame gable? Interesting dormers? Metal roof and stone?

Thanks for any wisdom provided!
Lee

That home would really benefit from some roof work, it would be aesthetic.  If you have a nice wide gable over the front entrance you can incorporate a front porch to the front as well.  It will make it feel a lot more "grand" and not as bland.

Siding, I recently went with wood siding/trim, it completely transformed the house.  Look into brands like maibec and fraser, last a long time and the look is beautiful (although it's expensive).