Author Topic: Mice in the apartment  (Read 2135 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
Mice in the apartment
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:28:07 AM »
I rent a second floor of the 2-plex.  Family on the first floor are landlord's friends and they also manage the place.  They are my go-to since I've never met landlord and she initially told me to resolve things through the family on the first floor.

So now I got mice in my apartment. I started seeing them last week. Couple traps that I put out didn't work.  I told the guy on the first floor that we have mice problem in the building and they need to call exterminator.  He said he's suspected mice for few weeks now as he thought he heard them in the walls and ceiling, but he hasn't seen them in his apartment.  I now have them all over my place, kitchen, bedrooms, etc.  I left a loaf of bread on the counter on Saturday night and it was taste tested by stupid mice.  And I suspect it's only a matter of time before they show up in the fist floor apartment as well.

I keep my apartment clean, we don't leave food out, we don't let garbage sit and take it out every day, etc.  And in the last couple weeks I've been on the cleaning/organizing streak so I can confidently say that there are no food stuck anywhere in the non-obvious places.

He said they'll talk to the landlord.  That was yesterday.
This morning he tells me that landlord said she will email me, but didn't say when.  I asked when she said she will be sending exterminator to the building and he said she didn't say anything.

So far I don't have any emails from her.  I'll give it till lunch time today and then email and text her myself. 

What can/should I expect from the landlord in this situation?  Am I wrong to expect for her to send exterminators to the house?  What can/should I do if she doesn't? 

What are to good mice remedies?  So far I bought some poison/bait and they just ate it and went on with their business.  And I got couple traps that have been ignored as well. 

This is a two-story row house build in 1950.

Bruinguy

• Stubble
Re: Mice in the apartment
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
We got mice in our first house. After a few rounds, ended up needing to seal the entire outside  of the house where it met the foundation with wire mesh and concrete. Then the problem went away. So first is getting rid of them and second is sealing up the exterior so they can't get in again.

Once we had them, they would keep coming back ever couple of months until we sealed it.

Good luck. It sucks.

On the bright side, at least it isn't bed bugs!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
I heard back from landlord.  She as asked the first floor guy to buy me a bunch of traps and poison pallets. I hope they will work.  I think I'll also talk to her about few holes in baseboards where I saw mice  go, but I don't think it's possible to patch all such holes, especially behind kitchen cabinets. 

She seems to think that mice may have come from neighbors as this is an attached house on both sides.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
I used the cheap spring traps from Home Depot and used peanut butter as bait. I caught at least 20 mice within a couple of weeks before the remaining mice (if any) moved on to greener pastures.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
Spring traps never worked for us. Damned things were too smart. They managed to eat the bait, spring the trap and get away.

What worked like a charm was electric trap. Think mini death chamber for mice. Put in a bit of peanut butter, turn it on and leave it near where you think the mice are getting into your place. As soon as it detects the mouse inside it runs an electric current and zaps the mouse. Dead mouse in it every morning until the problem was gone.

ChrisLansing

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
The key is many traps at the same time.   If you only catch some of them they'll just multiply again.  Set out 10 or 15 at one time, baited with peanut butter.  Do that 3 nights or more in a row.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »
If you have a bunch of mice consider a bucket trap.   Just google (mouse bucket trap ) they are easy to make and you can catch  multiple rodents at a time.

Mike

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
https://www.petfinder.com/animal-shelters-and-rescues/

Cats have been used for rodent control for 8,000 years. Plus the vicious little sots make a pleasant noise when you pet them. :)