Author Topic: Market Conditions: Any Patterns on Effects on Real Estate Market?  (Read 2154 times)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
In other words, we could be entering a market correction / bear market for the next few weeks/months/years. Let's say it's an official "recession." We know that this will almost certainly trigger the Federal Reserve to keep "the rate" at 0%, so mortgages will continue to be low interest. How else do buyers and sellers react to this kind of market? Do more people sell homes, maybe because their investments are hurting? Or the low rates continue to push buyers into the market pushing prices upward? Or you really need a crystal ball to have any clue what will happen next?

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
Re: Market Conditions: Any Patterns on Effects on Real Estate Market?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
An entire industry is trying to find out the answer to this question! Crystal ball is required :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
Ok - I'll just go with unbridled optimism! I'm trying to buy a house this year, and I'm hoping my local area fills up with people desperate to unload their home before the value drops lower, so they accept lower prices :)

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
I'm no expert, but my gut says that if there is a large recession, then inventory will increase since there are fewer homebuyers.  This would be good for you. Perhaps someone else with a better real estate background will chime in.

ahawkchick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:30:24 AM »
With the stock market dipping, I was thinking people might be looking to put money in real estate instead.  I'm sure it will vary be local market greatly.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
With the stock market dipping, I was thinking people might be looking to put money in real estate instead.  I'm sure it will vary be local market greatly.

All real estate markets are local. Anything the fed does will have very little effect on local real estate.