Author Topic: Maintenance Checklist for Out of State Property  (Read 1268 times)

sonnys

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Maintenance Checklist for Out of State Property
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
Hello all,

I am an out of state owner and am looking for a maintenance checklist that I could use on an annual basis.  It could be something as simple as an Excel file or a simple list.  Just looking for guidance from the Pros.

Thanks,
Sonny

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
Re: Maintenance Checklist for Out of State Property
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »
I don't have a list. I've been somewhat long distance for the past 5 years on one property and have experienced only one problem as a result of not being local.

In summer 2014, the tenants complained of water coming out of drain in the basement and made the carpet wet. It was in a finished basement, within a bedroom. I called a plumber and they said it was fixed. The same problem happened 2 more times, costing me about $1500 in new carpet, cleaning fees and plumber fees.

When I finally got the property and watched what happened when it rained, it was not water coming out of a drain. It was a failed gutter that was pouring water along the foundation. The water was sinking along the foundation, making the carpet wet in the finished basement and actually going down the drain, not coming out of it. If I was local, this would have been a one time $500 repair for cleaning and carpet. However, because I was not local, I got to repair it 3 times.

Ensign1999

• Stubble
Re: Maintenance Checklist for Out of State Property
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »
I hope you get some good feedback from more experienced rental owners as I'm interested in how this feed goes.  I've had a rental property in FL for the past 12 years that I've only been able to visit once in that time and I've had to rely on property managers.
  I have a second property that I'm now living closer to so I could drive down and back in a day and do an inspection on.  I would think that any list that is generated will end up being similar to a home inspection check list and would cover all the major systems (plumbing, hvac, gas, ect.) as well as all the structural components.  If you have an inspection report from any property, that might be a good place to start.