Author Topic: Long term value of manufactured home on a permanent foundation?  (Read 1032 times)

mghjuno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Long term value of manufactured home on a permanent foundation?
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:06:19 AM »
Hi,
I've found a possible rental property that's what I'm looking for in almost every way.  However, it's a manufactured home on a permanent foundation.  It's not one of the modern prefab homes that I guess technically are manufactured but which architecturally look interesting and sort of postmodern, it's the kind that is obviously at first glace a manufactured home with seams in the walls, the ubiquitous corner bathtub in the master bath, etc etc.  However it's pretty new and in great shape, in a good location in an area where manufactured homes aren't unusual, but also surrounded by some lovely stick built homes.  It's on 2 acres with a couple of large new storage sheds and the most tastefully built wheelchair ramp to the front door I've ever seen (which could be a big plus with some renters, I'd imagine).  It's close to a major highway, in an area which has access to high speed internet.  With some flooring upgrades and new paint I'd be happy to live in it myself. 

My question is, long term is this a bad investment due to the fact that it's manufactured?  Will it age poorly, even if I keep up with maintenance and be worth less in 10-20-30 years?  Can I even expect it to last that long?

EXLIer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Long term value of manufactured home on a permanent foundation?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:24:45 AM »
Unless it's sitting on A+ prim R/E......RUN AWAY.

I just sold a property that was a quality MF on a permanent foundation.  I found it attracted less quality renters ( people will recognize it as a manufactured home and usually walk away), and from my experience, depreciated heavily. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
Consider it to be like a car purchase.  It'll go down in value every year.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »
I wouldn't say run away from it, if the numbers work, but don't expect it to appreciate in value.