Author Topic: Lender wants me to give them my account numbers  (Read 6897 times)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Lender wants me to give them my account numbers
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
I'm trying to get pre qualified to buy a rental.  The lender wants to know all of my account numbers.  I have never been asked for this before.  Usually I am asked to provide the past 2 months statement.  I don't want to reveal all of my account numbers.  Please advise.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lender wants me to give them my account numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
odd, did you tell them it is a rental? wondering if it isnt them treating it as a business loan?

just speculation but i'll follow thread since i want to know reason.

you cant just ask them the reason? ie, why do you want this information and do you legally need it?

edit, im going out on a limb and guessing you arent getting loan through a nigarian bank right
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:36:08 PM by eyem »

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »
every time you write a check your giving that person (and everyone who handles the check) your account number since it's printed right there on the check. Your already giving them much more sensitive information, I'd give it to them but also inquire as to why they need it since the request is out of the ordinary.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
Mortgage lenders always ask this.  The underwriter wants to match/identify all the accounts on the credit report and make sure there are not any unreported accounts.  Statements often but not always have the account number on them.

pl28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Yup, when I applied for a loan for my rental, they ask for statements for my banks, which include account numbers. I tried to black them out but they told me to give them a copy without any blackout.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:13:24 PM »
Mortgage lenders always ask this.  The underwriter wants to match/identify all the accounts on the credit report and make sure there are not any unreported accounts.  Statements often but not always have the account number on them.

+1, yup.  Sometimes they won't ask you to provide the number, but it's only because they're going to demand the statements themselves, at which point they'll have the number anyway.

jtriplett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
This is VERY common. 

Mortgages these days are naked cavity searches... every one I've done in the past few years has felt like this.  I'm used to it.  I just send them all that crap on day 1. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
If you are loaded, just give them enough to qualify. 10-20% of total debt is usually enough.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
Thanks for all of your input.  I love this forum!

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 04:34:56 PM »
I agree, you need not provide all account numbers. Get it done with minimum required stuff.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
This is VERY common. 

Mortgages these days are naked cavity searches... every one I've done in the past few years has felt like this.  I'm used to it.  I just send them all that crap on day 1.

I don't feel this way, I really don't know what the big deal is. It usually takes me 10 minutes to put the package together. I usually have the documents digitally handy (tax returns, etc.), only having to get updated statements and pay stubs to go with. I'm asking them to lend me a lot of other peoples money, seems like a small thing considering.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
Now I'm dreading the next time I need a mortgage... I've opened all of these accounts to get bonuses! Hope they don't want credit card statements too ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!