Author Topic: Learn how to rehab?  (Read 1857 times)

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
Learn how to rehab?
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:58:55 PM »
All,

I'm going to be moving soon and just wanted to figure out the right way to learn how to rehab a house. Anything really; lay flooring, install trim, crown molding, back splash, tiling, replacing toilets, sinks, etc.

I don't plan on doing this for a living and I like to fix and replace things but I have to do them the correct way. I'll just piss myself off if I screw something up or do it half ass.

Comm College? Carpenter school?

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Learn how to rehab?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:21:32 AM »
Free classes at your local Home Depot, volunteering at Habitat for Humanity builds, watching lots of YouTube videos, and community college classes are all worth a shot.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:51:30 AM »
when you have a specific project, google it-you can learn almost anything on youtube anymore (and read the product directions). Trade schools will teach the basics but each project is different and even tradesmen have to figure things out as they go with new products coming out all the time.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
Ideally find a buddy who knows more than you, if not, find someone who is keen to learn with you. Offer to apprentice or mate for any trades that you do get a professional in for. Ask around if anyone knows a tradesman who would have you around as a lackey so you can learn from them.

If you will be working on your own place, think about the order you do work in, big and messy first, fine finishes last.

Have you seen the mmm articles on plumbing with pex, carpentry, metal work, the house project etc? I did trade school when I was doing my electrics, but it spent a lot of time on theory, safety, and worksite rules that weren't relevant or I already knew. If I was doing it again I'd go to a beginner DIY course for safety and the basics and then use the internet.

Make sure you take 'before' pictures, it will help when progress seems slow!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
Most things can be learned in one application with youtube. Anything with an artistic touch might need more than one try. I have not found any of those.

The only thing I would consider taking classes is for plumbing and electrical.

If you buy an average or typical house, you can do the repairs by yourself. Even if you screw up a little it doesn't really matter. If you buy in an upscale neighborhood with nice finishes, then you need to pay a professional for all the repairs because if it's not done correctly, it will stand out.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »
+1  Habitat for Humanity volunteer idea.