Author Topic: Lawn care question for landlords  (Read 2638 times)

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Lawn care question for landlords
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
We are in the military. We have moved 8 times in 6 years, so of course we rent. Currently, we are in a rental in a pretty nice neighborhood. In our lease we are suppose to care for the lawn and house like it's our own. Caulk the tub, clean the gutters, hire out pest control etc. When I moved in the lawn was pretty sad and sparse. We cut it, water it and rake the leaves but that's it. It looks like crap. Lawn care people stop by all the time offering to fix it up. On one hand I hate that it looks crappy and I feel a little obligation to fix it, on the other hand I don't think it's worth my time and money. What do you think?

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Lawn care question for landlords
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
Take care of it like it's your own? That seems like an unenforceable standard. Also, I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but some of those wouldn't fly where I am. Caulk the tub? That would fall under normal wear and tear. Are they requiring that you have pest control, or just if you want it, you have to pay for it yourself?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:17:56 AM by hoodedfalcon »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
We are in the military. We have moved 8 times in 6 years, so of course we rent. Currently, we are in a rental in a pretty nice neighborhood. In our lease we are suppose to care for the lawn and house like it's our own. Caulk the tub, clean the gutters, hire out pest control etc. When I moved in the lawn was pretty sad and sparse. We cut it, water it and rake the leaves but that's it. It looks like crap. Lawn care people stop by all the time offering to fix it up. On one hand I hate that it looks crappy and I feel a little obligation to fix it, on the other hand I don't think it's worth my time and money. What do you think?
I think you might want to check your local landlord-tenant code, which ideally was provided to you by the landlord when you moved in.  If not then you might be able to find a copy on your city/county/state website.  I'd also start taking "before" photos now so that you have a basis to compare to the "after" photos that you're going to show when it's time for the landlord to return your security deposit.

If you decide that you'd like to improve the lawn then I'd ask the landlord to either pay for the raw materials that you want (grass seed, fertilizer, tools?) or to help with redesigning the landscaping to match the climate (xeriscaping or mulching).  I think lawn care people are mostly interested in getting you addicted to the services of Messrs. Mow, Blow, & Go.

How much longer are you expecting to be around this lawn, especially if you live in a climate that has "winter"?

Speaking as a landlord, if I expected tenants to handle the caulk and the gutters then I'd get exactly what I deserved.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
Im a new landlord and all those things that you say you are responsible for I feel I am responsible for. Sounds like a fishy lease to me. I live in a tenant friendly state however and perhaps in your state the law is different. I would definitely do some research.