Author Topic: Landlords, Do you allow your tenants to have pets?  (Read 16350 times)

asytsma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Landlords, Do you allow your tenants to have pets?
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »
Hello Fellow Landlord Mustachians,

Do you allow your tenants to have pets? If so, what conditions do you set?

If you had to choose between loosing a great tenant (whose willing to sign a new two-year lease) or gaining a cat tenant, which would you choose?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:17:01 PM by asytsma »

GoCubsGo

• Bristles
Re: Landlords, Do you allow your tenants to have pets?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
I always have allowed pets because it opens me up to a much wider pool of applicants.  Also, I've found people with large dogs (70+lbs) have a hard time finding a place and will bend over backwards to get the rental as they know how difficult it can be.  Cats are worse than dogs in my opinion due to urine smells.  That said, I use oxygen bombs in my pet rentals and the odor has never been a problem to get rid of. In regards to wear and tear, I've found kids to be much harder on houses than pets :)

Not sure if I understand your question?  Why would you ever want to loose a great tenant willing to sign a long term lease?

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:00:06 PM »
I have always allowed pets also.  Require an additional $500 security deposit per pet and limit of 2. 

I also don't understand the question you pose.  I will always want to keep a good tenant rather than try and replace them.  2-year lease would be great!

asytsma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
My fear is that the cost of cleaning up/ repairing my rental after a tenant with a pet vacates will be more expensive than finding a new tenant without a pet. But it sounds like you value a good tenant over possible pet damage?

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »
A good tenant will take care of their pet and you should not experience any additional damage.  I had a unit almost completely destroyed by a guy with no pets, so there is no guarantee in either situation. 

I may also be a little biased because I am a pet owner.

Depending on your state laws you may be able to mandate a periodic inspection of the home to be sure they are not letting the pet, child, or themselves, destroy it.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
We allow them in our 2 units, save for 7-8 breeds of dog my insurance company prohibits.

#1: I live in the upper of a duplex w/ 2 dogs. I'm not going to have mine running around and tell a tenant they can't have one.
#2, as was said, I also believe it's worth doing to open yourself up to people who have a harder time finding rentals because of a large dog. It can be a real pain to find a rental that will accept your 75 lb lab, even. I've only had to select 3 sets of tenants so far, but all 3 had dogs. Coincidence? I think it was a factor for sure.
#3: I find dog damage to be easier to deal with than cat damage. Cats are quieter, but there can be urine issues. So far, only dog issues I've had was from a labradoodle puppy. (Out of 3 tenants with animals.)
#4: Some tenants will lie, and bring the pet anyway and try and hide it when you're around. Might as well get paid for the extra risk of damage.

I charge an extra $200 security deposit per animal, and an extra monthly fee as well. $20/mo for a dog.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:21 PM »
   I allow pets, only had 2  bad experiences with it in 15 years. I generally charge 25 extra a month. I am a sucker for cats though and will bend that rule for them.

sammybiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
Absolutely.  You can pull in a bit more rent and I like the idea of families with a cat/dog.  I grew up in a household similar and think it can really make for a better family unit and hopefully, one that picks a home and stays for awhile.

No dangerous breed dogs, watch out for the crazy cat ladies and all of the other no shit notes apply.

SaintM

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
Yes, for all the reasons stated.  Higher deposit = more protection, higher rent = more income, pet owners = wider pool of applicants.  No dog breeds the insurance company deems dangerous.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
I generally do allow pets, but have had really bad experiences with cats...they are sneaky urinators...

Fun side bar...I had a tenant that vacated and there was a strong urine smell in the corner of the Master Bedroom.  Figured they snuck in a dog and didn't pay the pet deposit...turns out it wasn't a dog.  It seems that someone sleptwalked and often mistook the corner  behind the door for a urinal.

Oh the joys of landlording!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
In Ontario a landlord can prevent a tenant from renting if they have a pet when applying for the place to live . . . but if the tenant gets a pet later there's nothing the landlord can do to prevent it.  Kinda stupid because it gives tenants incentive to lie, and kinda poisons the landlord/tenant relationship from the start.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
I allowed pets (three suites), and they were all great.

In BC, we can charge double the security deposit when a pet is included, so I usually charged that, but almost every tenant-with-pet got that back.

I required the pet to come to the viewing/interview. That way, I could see a lot about the human (how they interact with a vulnerable, dependent creature), see the animal's behaviour (activity level, respect for furniture/flooring/etc, barking, aggression/gentleness), see/smell cleanliness.

I rented to gentle, quiet animals with gentle, quiet humans.

The only pet-related issues in those tenancies were:

1. One dog -fully indoors, even litter-trained- shedded like crazy and left a thick layer of fur everywhere when  they moved out. I took some off the deposit for all the cleaning that required, but no permanent damage.

2. One tenant with a very large dog had an accident and became unable to walk her dog and pick up his poo from the yard. The yard was shared amongst all tenants, including children who played in it. I did it for a while, but eventually said that if she couldn't find someone to provide this care for her dog, either the dog or both of them had to move on.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »
I should add that I also do a "doggy interview" as well before I approve a dog.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
I'm curious what you landlords have for a policy regarding excessive barking if the pets owner can't stop it. Do you allow them to break the lease so that they will move out asap...

Yes.

But requiring the dog at the interview usually prevents this (only usually, because some dogs are quiet when their humans are present, and only bark excessively when their humans are out at work for the day). I allowed lease-breaking for any reason. Signing it showed their intent to stay, but life happens so I always allowed it to be broken. But I owned in a place with a near-zero vacancy rate, so it was never a problem to get another tenant.

On the tenancy side of things, I've avoided getting a pet for many, many years because I know how much harder it is to get a place in BC with one (same goes with having a kid, so I'm already pushing the envelope).

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »
Yes, with a pet deposit.  We don't technically charge pet rent but the rent is a bit higher than comps because of the large yard- which of course attracts tenants with medium to large dogs.

No problems yet (knock on wood) but we're only on our second tenant.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »
As a renter with cats, I'll comment on my end of things.  I rent in a fairly big apartment complex, though.  I might feel differently renting a person's house.  Yes, the cats have done some damage to the carpets.  Not pee, but they have claws, and there are patches in the living room that show wear because of it.  HOWEVER - I've been there 7 years, and intend to stay 3-6 more.  The carpets weren't new when I moved in (I actually moved in with a girl who was already living there, then assumed the entire lease when she moved out).  This place typically replaces carpet after a tenant moves out, I've seen them do it numerous times.

So no, I don't feel too bad that they're going to have to replace the carpet after a decade+ of my renting the place.  I'm quiet, always pay on time, and am a long term renter.  I expect I won't get my security deposit back because of the carpet thing, but I fully intend to leave the place in a completely clean state, regardless.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
I feel that pets are a part of a family unit and as such want the best tenants of my larger pet-inclusive pool to apply to live in our properties. In our state, we can charge quite a bit per pet for a pet deposit in addition to the damage deposit. We have a family that rents our largest unit. They have a young child, one tiny dog and two cats. 1/2 the place is very old well sealed hardwoods. I figure if they stay for long the carpets will be ruined. The entire attic is older carpet that's seen better days. Im ready for that to go after these folks so if it is ruined by their pets I'm good with that.

Two of our rental acquisitions needed major urine intervention. The previous owner/tenants had been there for years, were talking 8 and 13 years. In one case the urine had seeped through the carpet and into the wood of the stairs AND the insulation below the stairwell. We gutted that stairwell down to the side framing and re-staired/reinsulated and carpeted. That was a major pain. We did the work ourselves so it wasn't too costly. We use a remnant carpet mom & pop shop for all our carpet needs and pay them cash. It saves us a bundle.

DH was mowing one of our properties and the neighbor complained about our tenant's dog barking all the time. However before he had the chance to pursue it, the tenant gave notice and left. They left the place in pristine condition which was awesome.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
Bad tenants will just lie and sneak pets in anyway.  I'd rather deal with a tenant that was honest about their pet upfront.  I also don't believe in "bad breeds" just bad owners.  Statistically, small dogs bite more anyway.  They just do less damages and don't make the paper as often for that reason. 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
$200 pet fee, per pet for a one-year lease, maximum of 2 pets. The rental house has a large yard, which attracts people with dogs. Whether I allowed dogs or not, they would be there. I would rather collect money for it so I allow it.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
When I purchased my first rental, I inherited a tenant that had 3 Chihuahuas. I never thought much about it until she moved out, and I had to replace all the flooring, including the subfloor. It was a pain, so I said I'd never allow pets again. Fast forward FIVE months, and the place still sat vacant. Despite my ads saying no pets, everyone who looked at the place either already had one, or intended to get one. After some quick math, I realized I could have replaced the flooring several times over with the rent I was losing out on. So I've allowed pets ever since, with mixed reviews. I do charge an additional $100 nonrefundable fee and $25 per month.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
I do charge an additional $100 nonrefundable fee and $25 per month.

Can anyone provide insight on making the fee nonrefundable? I guess if the pet does no damage, I don't see the point? Do you just see it as a fee for you taking on the risk?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »
Anyone exploring this must keep in mind that a region's laws will determine what can be charged, what must be refunded, etc. BC Canada is very clear about what can and cannot be charged, kept, etc. All landlords need to know the scoop for their particular area. (If a BC landlord screws up on actions, timelines, etc, she can owe up to double the security deposit to the tenant, get stuck longer with a problem tenant, etc.)

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
Can anyone provide insight on making the fee nonrefundable? I guess if the pet does no damage, I don't see the point? Do you just see it as a fee for you taking on the risk?

Allowing pets there is always wear and tear.  A nonrefundable fee covers wear that may have started with tenant 1 and needs addressing by tenant 4.  In other words, the non-refundable fee covers the long term costs that will arise from allowing pets.  Costs that would not be there if pets were not allowed.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
My two cents from the tenant's perspective:

We've moved into a new apartment October last year and for the first time had enough space to consider having a pet (other than a bird or fish...). Fast forward 4 months and we fell in love with two American Shorthair kittens. We're extremely grateful that our landlord allowed them and do plan to not take the cheap route out of that lease whenever that will be. By way of background: Like most apartment leases in Germany ours has an indefinite term and our contract contains the common "tenant has to renovate upon termination" clause which usually become invalid due to new caselaw a few years down the line.

If somebody would be a good tenant without a pet he or she will not experience a sudden personality change with a pet. Instead of a good tenant you would have a good, grateful tenant. I type this while watching our two kittens sleep in their basket. :-)

Dividend Youngster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Youngster
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
In my opinion you have to be aware of other tenants around... If you have an upstairs tenant with a dog, a good downstairs tenant may not want to listen to the constant walking around or barking... as far as damage is concerned, I do hardwood for floors in all of my apartments, even if they scratch them you only have to refinish them every 15-20 years and they are easier to clean and hold up better than carpet. I personally avoid renting to tenants with pets, but I have apartments in an area where tenants are easy to find.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
We have a weekly beach cottage rental where homes that allow pets get booked far more in advance and, generally, more overall.

We went back and forth on this issue and, in the end, opted against it. There's the general wear and tear, we have a beautiful screen porch that likely would take abuse, and the swimming pool liners apparently can spring holes from doggie claws. So no pets for us.

PawPrint53

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
I'm curious if the landlords that allow pets mention something in the lease about picking up the waste in the yard. The HOA mows once a week and one of my tenants is not good about picking up after her dog.

Last year we rented a first floor apartment with wood floors. The floors were gorgeous. A couple moved into the unit above us and got a puppy. I love dogs, but not when they drop balls and toys on the wood floor over my head. It was torture. We moved out when the year lease was up. Just couldn't take the noise.

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »
In Ontario a landlord can prevent a tenant from renting if they have a pet when applying for the place to live . . . but if the tenant gets a pet later there's nothing the landlord can do to prevent it.

To be exact, in Ontario, 'no pet clauses' are void.  A tenant can bring their (pre-existing) pet on the day they move in.  Landlords may choose to not rent to someone who mentions they have a pet, but if the pet isn't mentioned, they are not allowed to evict.

There are some exceptions, e.g. in shared accommodation, or if the pet is causing a nuisance.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »
Tenet speaking.

We rented our current place not as pet owners but with the understanding that the building was pet friendly and we were looking to adopt. We told our landlord we wanted 1) not a puppy, preferably a dog already potty-trained and 2) a dog big enough that if I sat on it it wouldn't die a sad doggy death (aka no yippy tiny pups). He was cool with it, and, much informed by this understanding, we signed a two-year lease; a year later we rescued from a local shelter. (He could have reneged since the pet thing wasn't in the initial lease, but he didn't--if he had, we would NOT have planned on resigning the lease this year.)

As part of our lease agreement we 1) paid a non-refundable pet deposit 2) completed basic obedience training 3) stayed within building weight limits for pets 4) made sure our renters' insurance covered our pup. We thought these were completely reasonable requests.

As suggested by Offbeat Home, we have a rental resume, containing all the pertinent information to our rental history: http://offbeathome.com/2011/04/rental-resume. We're hoping to be in this space until we buy a home, but just in case I've updated with our pup's info (age and breed, neuter and vaccines dates, obedience graduations, vet info, etc.) and will obtain letters of recommendation from our downstairs neighbors, landlord, and vet for possible future renting.

I think if you put limitations (proof of obedience training, non-refundable deposits, ets.) you can get great tenets.

LordSquidworth

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »
My fear is that the cost of cleaning up/ repairing my rental after a tenant with a pet vacates will be more expensive than finding a new tenant without a pet. But it sounds like you value a good tenant over possible pet damage?

My dog is cleaner than a lot of tenants.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:18 AM »
Yes.  My rules are:

No aggressive dog breeds (insurance requirement)

No puppies/kittens

Must be housebroken

No male cats unless owner can provide good evidence that it does  not spray.  According to the interwebz, 60% of male cats spray, and neutering, even when young, does not guarantee that the instinct will not develop.

With those rules, I've never had a problem.  I definitely run into people who want to bring in an aggressive dog or a puppy, but don't remember any cases of people pleading with me to take their cat. 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
I do allow pets. My rental has all tile floors, which helps. Damage is certainly still possible, but minimized.

According to the interwebz, 60% of male cats spray, and neutering, even when young, does not guarantee that the instinct will not develop.

That is the most ridiculous statistic I have read in a while. I have had 100+ foster cats live with me over the last few years, plus my two males, and have never had a male cat spray. I have had two female cats pee on the floor - both had urinary tract infections. According to the ASPCA, "It’s estimated that 10% of all cats will eliminate outside their litter box at some point in their lives."

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
I do allow pets. My rental has all tile floors, which helps. Damage is certainly still possible, but minimized.

According to the interwebz, 60% of male cats spray, and neutering, even when young, does not guarantee that the instinct will not develop.

That is the most ridiculous statistic I have read in a while. I have had 100+ foster cats live with me over the last few years, plus my two males, and have never had a male cat spray. I have had two female cats pee on the floor - both had urinary tract infections. According to the ASPCA, "It’s estimated that 10% of all cats will eliminate outside their litter box at some point in their lives."

+1

I don't know any legitimate statistic but if it would be anywhere near 60% noone but crazy cat ladies would keep boycats. After all it is the owner of the pet who would need to live with the odor in the first place.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »

Allowing pets there is always wear and tear.  A nonrefundable fee covers wear that may have started with tenant 1 and needs addressing by tenant 4.  In other words, the non-refundable fee covers the long term costs that will arise from allowing pets.  Costs that would not be there if pets were not allowed.

I disagree that there is *always* wear and tear. 

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »

It's easy to disagree when you have nothing to loose, but I have to protect my investments as best I can.
Scratches on the door, flooring, tracked in dirt, spills, urine, vomit, feces, dander(especially from cats): I'm sorry, it happens with all pets. 

Mrkineticz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:50 AM »
IF you rent to pet owners always get a non refundable pet deposit 200-500. My rule of thumb is no puppies and kittens they tend to do alot of damage when they are young. Most pet owners are caring and are good tennants.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »

It's easy to disagree when you have nothing to loose, but I have to protect my investments as best I can.
Scratches on the door, flooring, tracked in dirt, spills, urine, vomit, feces, dander(especially from cats): I'm sorry, it happens with all pets.

I'm not sure what type of pets you've had, but urine/vomit/feces aren't usual issues.  (And I've seen humans throw up WAY more on the ground inside a house than I have a pet.  I think I've only ever seen one pet throw up inside, from eating some turkey at Thanksgiving.)  Sure it can happen, but it's not common, so hence why I'd suggest refundable rather than non-refundable.

People spill, not pets.  (Unless I guess a pet owner stuck dog food or water in a tippy non-dog bowl.)  And really, that's not causing permanent damage to your house.

Dander, you vacuum with a good filter. 

The thing is, women who wear high heels around the house will scratch floors.  Or you might have a house entirely in carpet, with no floors to be scratched.  If you have multiple kids, you track in more dirt than no kids, but you don't really rent based on a sliding scale for women with more kids who like to wear heels.  (In which case, I want some money back from my renting days, given I always removed shoes at the door and have no kids.)

If it's refundable, then you're still protected, because you refund only if there is no damage.  No harm, no foul.  You get someone who takes care of their pet and your house/condo, you in turn, don't charge them for it.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
The thing is, women who wear high heels around the house will scratch floors.

Ditto men who wear high heels around the house, of course.
(Or cowboy boots, as in one case I dealt with.)

And kids, well, my little guy is infinitely neater, tidier, cleaner, and more respectful of property than almost any adult I've ever lived with. I've known one besides me who was on par with him for those variables.

Gender, footwear, age, species, and breeds are not giveaways as to where damage can be anticipated. Part of the risk of renting space out, but the tips in this thread (honouring insurance requirements, interviewing the pets, charging the legally-permitted deposit, refunding awesome tenants, etc) will do the trick in most cases.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 09:09:38 PM »
The thing is, women who wear high heels around the house will scratch floors.

Ditto men who wear high heels around the house, of course.
(Or cowboy boots, as in one case I dealt with.)

And kids, well, my little guy is infinitely neater, tidier, cleaner, and more respectful of property than almost any adult I've ever lived with. I've known one besides me who was on par with him for those variables.

Gender, footwear, age, species, and breeds are not giveaways as to where damage can be anticipated. Part of the risk of renting space out, but the tips in this thread (honouring insurance requirements, interviewing the pets, charging the legally-permitted deposit, refunding awesome tenants, etc) will do the trick in most cases.

Of course.  (Although, living in NE, I have yet to see a man wearing cowboy boots much less heels, I am sure they exist.  A friend has even told me he's worn high heels for a reverse-gender type race in college.  Apparently gave him some appreciation for the high heel pain.)

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 01:11:34 AM »
We encourage pets.

We don't charge any extra bond on top of the standard 1-months rent.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
I allow pets in my houses as they are houses and tenants looking for houses in my area are a higher quality than those that are looking for apartments and I want to cast a wide net and encourage them to stay.  I don't allow pets in my duplexes (up & downs) so far.  I might allow a cat but I just feel there isn't enough room for a dog and issues that might arise from one (barking, nails, owner not picking up poop etc).

I charge a $220 non-refundable cleaning deposit for pets.  If anybody asks it's because I have to clean extremely well afterwards in case the next tenant is allergic.  I also tell them it helps with cleaning to help insure they get their regular deposit back.  Helps with the initial sale whether that is true or not for them in the end.

I just had a tenant come look at a house I have for rent.  She asked about, "Breed restrictions".  Oh boy, I know what's coming.  She is looking to rent and has a pit bull and a mastiff.  I know that the breed doesn't make the dog and that they can be sweet but damn, those are the top 2 dogs landlords don't want to hear.  I don't want 200lbs of dogs marking up MY floors or scratching at MY doors!  Those are dogs you get when you own your own place.  "I will have to check with my insurance agent and get back to you about those."

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
I'm one of those "crazy cat ladies" - with two cats. A healthy, properly cared for cat will basically never urinate outside the litterbox. If that's happening, the cat isn't properly cared for.

My cats are healthy, and I clean up after them whenever necessary. It's part of my responsibility as a pet owner. I've never had a landlord complain about damage caused by my cats after I moved out.

I'm also a tenant, and just this morning found out about a brewing situation. I live in a townhouse, there's a HOA, and my cats are allowed outside when I'm home. I got an email from my (absentee) landlord, the property management emailed her. Apparently a neighbor has complained because they've seen my cats outside and dogs have been chasing them.

First, if your dog is chasing my cat, then you're at fault for that behavior. If my cat is chasing your dog, then I will do something about the cat.

Second, I don't want to move (tired of it), but I also can't keep one of the cats inside - she'd be miserable and I can't do that to her. Now, I'm seriously debating about just buying a damn house so I don't have to deal with this crap. Again!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
As a renter with cats, I'll comment on my end of things.  I rent in a fairly big apartment complex, though.  I might feel differently renting a person's house.  Yes, the cats have done some damage to the carpets.  Not pee, but they have claws, and there are patches in the living room that show wear because of it.  HOWEVER - I've been there 7 years, and intend to stay 3-6 more.  The carpets weren't new when I moved in (I actually moved in with a girl who was already living there, then assumed the entire lease when she moved out).  This place typically replaces carpet after a tenant moves out, I've seen them do it numerous times.

So no, I don't feel too bad that they're going to have to replace the carpet after a decade+ of my renting the place.  I'm quiet, always pay on time, and am a long term renter.  I expect I won't get my security deposit back because of the carpet thing, but I fully intend to leave the place in a completely clean state, regardless.
Honestly, as a landlord if you moved out after ten years I expect to do a decent amount of repairs.  I'm not charge you for that.  I'd expect to replace the carpets, paint the walls and maybe even replace some appliances.  None of that would you be on the hook for.  You'd get the full deposit back from me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »
I'm also a tenant, and just this morning found out about a brewing situation. I live in a townhouse, there's a HOA, and my cats are allowed outside when I'm home. I got an email from my (absentee) landlord, the property management emailed her. Apparently a neighbor has complained because they've seen my cats outside and dogs have been chasing them.

First, if your dog is chasing my cat, then you're at fault for that behavior. If my cat is chasing your dog, then I will do something about the cat.

Second, I don't want to move (tired of it), but I also can't keep one of the cats inside - she'd be miserable and I can't do that to her. Now, I'm seriously debating about just buying a damn house so I don't have to deal with this crap. Again!

You let your pets wander the neighbourhood while you're away?  If a cat goes into someone's yard and is caught by a large dog, your cat will very likely die.  (I had a large terrier several years ago that caught a cat in our back yard.  Two quick shakes and it was over with blood all over the snow.  Very traumatic experience.)  It will be entirely your own fault that this has happened.

You seem to be upset because your neighbours have decided that taking care of your pets should be your responsibility, not theirs.  Pets do not belong outside wandering the neighbourhood, particularly cats.  They are not native animals to the area, they do environmental damage killing thousands of birds and small animals every year, spray and poop all over the place, and are often hit by cars.  If they're not spayed and neutered they tend to add to the huge problem of feral cats in North America.  It's not the fault of the cat that this happens, but that of the clueless owner.

Please stop what you're doing, and become a responsible pet owner.

SuperSecretName

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
Yes.  Out of 7 rental periods, 6 had pets.  Charge a non-refundable cleaning fee.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »
Sorry to slightly derail, but -- Is it common for landlords to restrict dogs based on weight (for single family home type rentals)?

We currently have a ~100 lb Great Dane and a ~70 lb Weimaraner.  We're homeowners but not sure where life will take us next year after I graduate.  I've been operating under the assumption that we'd have to buy immediately if/when we move, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of landlords here who allow dogs :) 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »

Keep in mind that if there is damage or need to intense cleanings, you likely can use the security deposit to cover that.

I've been open to pets, but never actually had one.  We could charge an increase security deposit, and probably a slightly increased "pet rent"--perhaps $50/mo (which is minimal compared to our ~$2400 rent, in a high COL area). Or we might just charge a non-refundable cleaning fee, if they prefer that. 

I'd actually be happier with a Great Dane than a cat, Caliq. I don't fully understand why people use weight to restrict dogs.  IME, many big dogs are far lazier (and therefore less damaging) than the ankle biter dogs.  Give me a chill Dane over a Chihuahua anyway.  Less running around, less nervous peeing, less likely to eat the floorboards.  Now a Weimaraner is a bit of a different story, but I'd still allow one.   

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

Keep in mind that if there is damage or need to intense cleanings, you likely can use the security deposit to cover that.

I've been open to pets, but never actually had one.  We could charge an increase security deposit, and probably a slightly increased "pet rent"--perhaps $50/mo (which is minimal compared to our ~$2400 rent, in a high COL area). Or we might just charge a non-refundable cleaning fee, if they prefer that. 

I'd actually be happier with a Great Dane than a cat, Caliq. I don't fully understand why people use weight to restrict dogs.  IME, many big dogs are far lazier (and therefore less damaging) than the ankle biter dogs.  Give me a chill Dane over a Chihuahua anyway.  Less running around, less nervous peeing, less likely to eat the floorboards.  Now a Weimaraner is a bit of a different story, but I'd still allow one.

Good to know.  I guess we'd just have to be hopeful that other landlords are as aware of breed personalities, which our dogs definitely fit -- my Dane has a self-imposed 20 minutes per day activity limit xD The rest of her time is spent sleeping.  And the other is actually a Weim/Basset Hound/something else mix (we DNA tested him, in pre-MMM days), so he doesn't fit the hunting dog stereotypes...his activity limit is 30 minutes a day ;)

I think big dogs get a bad rep because they're more intimidating to more people :/  Our Dane has to be on 110% best behavior every time we're in public, while I see teeny tiny dogs getting away with all sorts of shenanigans.  It's cute when the Yorkie growls at something, but not when the Dane does! 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
No.

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
I allow pets. I believe the limit is 3 but I'd have to check the lease.   The worse tenants have been ones without pets. My plan is to gradually replace carpet outside of bedrooms, to minimize the damage done by pets.