Author Topic: Landlord insurance - who do you have, what do you pay, what are the coverages  (Read 2118 times)


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1192
I'll start, but I'm doing this because I'd like to switch and also compare rates a bit. 


$800 a year

5K deductible

100K structure

100K liability

This seems like crappy coverage.  Help me out!  Who do you have, what's the premium, and what's the coverage like - and have you had to make a claim and how did that go? 

Thanks!!  :D


  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 195
  • Age: 42
  • Location: New York
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
This is really going to depend on where you live.  In my neck of the woods that's pretty cheap for insurance.


  • Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
  • *****
  • Posts: 28245
  • Age: -999
  • Location: Seattle, WA
This is absolutely going to depend on your area, property size, etc.

Vegas insurance is super cheap (300-400).  Texas is sort of expensive, around where you're at, maybe a bit more.

Get some comparables for your area.

Put together your info and email it out to some insurance people in your area.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

neo von retorch

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3534
  • Location: SE PA
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
When I moved out of my house, which I'm renting out, and to an apartment, my insurance agent got me a Foremost policy. It was similar to yours, though it was for about 200K. Anyway, then I immediately shopped around, and when I got my rental and auto quote from Allstate, I also got a landlord policy. It was better than the Foremost policy, and it was several hundred dollars less.


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Age: 37
  • Location: California
I'm an insurance agent so I'll help the best I can. You're dwelling coverage is to cover the cost of building you an entire new house from scratch if it burned down. $100k sounds low, but I'm in Los Angeles area so...

Also for the liabiliy bump it up to $500,000. Won't cost you more than $50 a year, and last thing you want is losing your property or a big part of your stache over a lawsuit. Also, it will cover you from any tenant lawsuits like for wrongful eviction and the such.