Author Topic: Kicking tenants out - Need advice  (Read 1482 times)

Neo

• Stubble
Kicking tenants out - Need advice
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
Hi All,

I have a tenant in a 4-family building that is causing problems. People believe she has tried to break into their apartments multiple times and one has witnessed her using drugs in the basement garage (not just marijuana either). I cant prove any of this but at least 2 of the tenants are now threatening to move out if she isn't dealt with.

She is month to month so I can terminate her lease with 30 day notice from the next rent due date. I am drafting a letter to send her as her official notice to be out by June 30th. Should I mention the issues that have been reported or just keep it generic? Can I get myself in any trouble by giving reasons that I cant necessarily prove? I'm in Ohio if that matters. Just looking for opinions/past experiences from those that have dealt with similar issues.

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Kicking tenants out - Need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
I don't know about your specific legal circumstances, but the general rule is that the less you say the less you can get caught up in defending what you have said.

In your circumstances I'd keep it as simple as possible - "your lease provides that it can be terminated with 30 days' notice from the next rent due date.  Your next rent due date is [ x] and in accordance with your lease this notice terminates your lease on [y]."  Then add everything you need to about the return of keys, inspections on leaving and return of deposit, etc., so that your tenant has all the information she needs in that single document and doesn't have any valid complaints about not being told what was required.

You could think about adding something about the positive aspects of a landlord reference that you would give her: eg "I will be happy to provide a reference to any future landlord that you have always paid your rent in full and on time."  But don't say anything about parts of a reference that would be negative if you said anything about them.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:44:09 AM by former player »

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
Agree about advice above.

Only other thing I'd add is to send it immediately so there's no question about having 30 days notice and also that helps you start marketing for a new tenant sooner which is important. In my experience, better tenants are planning 40-60 days out vs. ones that need a place on short notice.

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »
Hi All,

I have a tenant in a 4-family building that is causing problems. People believe she has tried to break into their apartments multiple times and one has witnessed her using drugs in the basement garage (not just marijuana either). I cant prove any of this but at least 2 of the tenants are now threatening to move out if she isn't dealt with.

She is month to month so I can terminate her lease with 30 day notice from the next rent due date. I am drafting a letter to send her as her official notice to be out by June 30th. Should I mention the issues that have been reported or just keep it generic? Can I get myself in any trouble by giving reasons that I cant necessarily prove? I'm in Ohio if that matters. Just looking for opinions/past experiences from those that have dealt with similar issues.

You're terminating a month-to-month, not evicting for cause.  Don't muddy the waters.  Don't turn her into an angry holdover who will need eviction.  You don't need a reason, nor should you provide anything more than a standard termination letter, even if she pushes for a reason.