Author Topic: Is this a good idea?  (Read 1852 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
Is this a good idea?
« on: August 14, 2016, 06:21:55 AM »
After Katrina, my dad moved to a hunting camp in a school bus and loved it. I didn't like it so much, but I've heard that it's really a big trend to camp out in vehicles that have been fixed to look like trailers and RVs. Plus, I really want to get my creative juices flowing, so I was wondering if it would be a great investment to get a van, make it into a five-star camper, and rent it out to people who want to enjoy the local beaches and recreational parks on the weekend?

fishnfool

• Bristles
Re: Is this a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
After Katrina, my dad moved to a hunting camp in a school bus and loved it. I didn't like it so much, but I've heard that it's really a big trend to camp out in vehicles that have been fixed to look like trailers and RVs. Plus, I really want to get my creative juices flowing, so I was wondering if it would be a great investment to get a van, make it into a five-star camper, and rent it out to people who want to enjoy the local beaches and recreational parks on the weekend?
I'd say no, probably not a great investment. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
I know someone that rented a school bus converted into a camper for a week, so it's not unheard of.  However, it was very professionally done and elaborate (real kitchen with all the bells and whistles, four lofted beds, couches, HVAC, the works).

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »
I could see it having potential.  Are you looking to have it in one spot permanently or or are you thinking it will be mobile? You could list it on AirBNB.  The downside would be you have to deal with renters all the time and clean it between renters.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
No, I don't believe it will provide a good return on your investment.

The up-front costs are significant and unless you're very good at cost recovery (and well insured) you will have more difficulty cleaning and turning the unit. Storage may be a factor depending on where you're going to stash it. There will be ongoing costs and labor associated with keeping it in the kind of condition that justifies renting it out. Your vacancy rate may be higher than you think, and the overhead needed to manage the rental will be significant.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!