Author Topic: Is this a good buy ? (new to real estate investing)  (Read 3007 times)

WorkingOnIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is this a good buy ? (new to real estate investing)
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot in the last few months, trying to consider if we want to get into the rental / landlord business.

A friend of mine is a real estate agent and has called about a short sale home coming on the market. We'd talked about wanting to look at things and this popped up.

I've seen the calculators - so I'll work on that too .. but to me I don't see this as a good deal ?
-The price is expected to be about $240k.
-It needs about 10-15K for some repairs/ get ready work
-The Comps are about $258  in the area
-Rent about $2K
-Taxes and insurance about 750/month

We plan to take a loan for this (likely) so there will be closing costs also ...

To me this seems to add up to just buying a house that has been on the market for awhile and paying about fair market value. I don't see a "deal" here, or a good investment ?

I should add, it is in a good neighborhood, this price point of home stays on the market for less than a week and gets multiple offers....and this is in Austin (as the other thread discusses).

Any thoughts or guidance would be well appreciated !

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is this a good buy ? (new to real estate investing)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »
I do not think it to be a good deal nor a good investment property. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
Sounds fairly mediocre.  You're buying at retail (market price) for a meh property (under the 1% rule, and Texas has some other things that will affect expenses like high insurance numbers).  Unless you think a market is poised for growth and the whole thing is overvalued, paying market price off the MLS is not a good way to acquire houses (and if it is, be picky anyways about which one(s) you choose, since you'll have plenty to choose from).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
  No, that is not a good deal. The ROI is very poor. If I were to blow 240K on RE I would want $4500-5000 a month or better for gross rents. Check out the link for examples of much better deals.  The deal we have in motion now is purchase 33k, rehab costs 9.8K, rent $1100-1200/month. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/examples-of-rentals-you-own-that-perform-well-financially/

thesinecure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »
  No, that is not a good deal. The ROI is very poor. If I were to blow 240K on RE I would want $4500-5000 a month or better for gross rents. Check out the link for examples of much better deals.  The deal we have in motion now is purchase 33k, rehab costs 9.8K, rent $1100-1200/month. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/examples-of-rentals-you-own-that-perform-well-financially/

what state is this in, if you don't mind sharing?

i'm in houston, i doubt i could even find a livable (or fixable for that matter) house for $33k, much less one that would rent for $1k a month

either i'm looking in the wrong places of town, or this market doesn't sustain that sort of return (which is what my experience so far is telling me)

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
    State is Ohio and it is a house that needs some work in a burb outside of a major city. Not in a war zone at all. Different markets have different returns. Such a yield would be very hard to find in many Tx markets, NYC, SF etc. Nor do I think it will last, prices will rise or the supply of rental homes will increase or a combo of the two. If I felt like working houses in a war zone, you can rent a 10K house for 6-700 a month.